cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring mailbox from a server that no longer exists

alandavid
Level 4
 BE 9 4454.
I have a tape that was used to backup the mailboxes from an Ex5.5 server named "Foo"
"Foo" has since been retired and replaced with an Exchange2000 server named "Bar"
Person X left the company sometime since the backup, long enough ago that his domain account has been deleted.
I figured I could recreate his account in the domain (or at least create a new account with the same name!) Then run a restore job, with an Exchange redirect to the new server and mailbox.

What get is the following error:
Job ended: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 11:04:01 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a000848c HEX
Final error description: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Final error category: Resource Errors

It looks like it is trying to restore to "Foo" and not "Bar"

Anyone have any ideas?

Alan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brian_h1
Level 4
Alan,
I don't think you can restore an Exchange 5.5 mailbox to Exchange 2000, but I could be wrong - never had to do it before, and it just doesn't sound right.

That error points to a security error.
Create a new account called - say mailboxrestore - create an exchange mailbox too.
open up this mailbox and send and email from it - so it will create the mailbox itself.

Then make sure you can see this mailbox in the backup selections - if you can't, there is no way it is going to restore to it.

Next create a redirect restore job of the mailbox to the new servername and mailbox name.
In the selection list only select Top of Information Store -don't worry about the other folders it backs up.

See how you go with this

Brian

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Brian_h1
Level 4
Alan,
I don't think you can restore an Exchange 5.5 mailbox to Exchange 2000, but I could be wrong - never had to do it before, and it just doesn't sound right.

That error points to a security error.
Create a new account called - say mailboxrestore - create an exchange mailbox too.
open up this mailbox and send and email from it - so it will create the mailbox itself.

Then make sure you can see this mailbox in the backup selections - if you can't, there is no way it is going to restore to it.

Next create a redirect restore job of the mailbox to the new servername and mailbox name.
In the selection list only select Top of Information Store -don't worry about the other folders it backs up.

See how you go with this

Brian

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The other option is to duplicate that original backup to disk. Once done, you will see your *.edb, *.stm etc. files.
From there you can use something like Exmerge to get the data out into a *.pst file. It's at least portable then.

Laters!