cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring system state

alandavid
Level 4
 I am trying out backup exec9 and have backed up the system state of a remote machine, reinstalled Win2k and now haven't the foggiest on how to restore.

I have done a silent installation and all seems to be well with the remote agent service i.e properties of the machine show the service to be installed and running.

I maybe well off track here but after looking at the restore options, it seems to me that i choose the original machine and then choose file redirection. is this right?

Alan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 If you have named the server the same name, you don't need to do a redirection, just choose all drives and system state and restore - make sure you choose in Advanced to Overwrite all files.

FYI, you cannot redirect the system state to another computer with a different name, or restore the system state to a computer with the same name but where the %SYSTEMROOT% is different from where you have taken the backup of the system state - ie. if the backup happened and %SYSTEMROOT% was C:\WINNT, and when you reinstalled windows, you made it C:\WINDOWS.

Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marksw
Level 5
 If you have named the server the same name, you don't need to do a redirection, just choose all drives and system state and restore - make sure you choose in Advanced to Overwrite all files.

FYI, you cannot redirect the system state to another computer with a different name, or restore the system state to a computer with the same name but where the %SYSTEMROOT% is different from where you have taken the backup of the system state - ie. if the backup happened and %SYSTEMROOT% was C:\WINNT, and when you reinstalled windows, you made it C:\WINDOWS.

Mark

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

For step-by-step directions see the Admin Guide under Disaster Recovery