cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving information without details of system backed up on

Wolluf
Level 2
I have some backup tapes from a customer who wishes to retrieve his emails from them. He doesn't know which version of Windows server the machine was running nor which version of exchange server. I've set up a test machine with 2k3 server (with the name from the original as that is on the tape and I can see it) and 2k7 exchange server and Backup Exec 2010. The tapes are for several days in March last year (2011), and any of them should have the information he requires. I've catalogued one tape and can 'see' what's on it. When trying to run a restore, I've got as far as having 11GB data read from the tape, then the job fails with:- 000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection DFor additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33932 I've selected just his mailbox, then tried selecting all of them, same error. I have a lot of IT experience, but not Backup Exec. I sort of think from the error message that its expecting something from the original setup to be there and as its not, it fails. I've tried the restore with and without automatically recreate user accounts and mailboxes checked. I have generated some other error by changing other options, but it comes back to this. Also it takes nearly an hour for the job to run before it fails! Any help much appreciated - any more details required please ask. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

When restoring GRT data in Exchange, it stages to disk, with the default location being C:\Temp. You'd need the same amount of free disk space as your Information Store is big. If not, it will end up failing.

Try duplicating that Information Store to disk first (it gives you the flat files...*.edb; logs etc) and then do the restore from there. You can read my article on this on the link below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

If you are unable to restore the Exchange data, you've at least got the flat file and can use a 3rd party application to crack the database open and pull what you need to out of it. You might not be able to restore from Exchange 2003 into Exchange 2007 which could be another reason your restore is failing...

THanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

When restoring GRT data in Exchange, it stages to disk, with the default location being C:\Temp. You'd need the same amount of free disk space as your Information Store is big. If not, it will end up failing.

Try duplicating that Information Store to disk first (it gives you the flat files...*.edb; logs etc) and then do the restore from there. You can read my article on this on the link below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

If you are unable to restore the Exchange data, you've at least got the flat file and can use a 3rd party application to crack the database open and pull what you need to out of it. You might not be able to restore from Exchange 2003 into Exchange 2007 which could be another reason your restore is failing...

THanks!

Wolluf
Level 2

Hi Craig,

Thanks for that - I have now the edb file, which I suspect is Exchange 2000 or 2003. If I can set up the correct environment for it, do you know how easy is it to retrieve emails from a mailbox (eg, would I need to set up outlook & connect it to the Exchange server?)

There are a number of free viewers but I'm not sure if that will be enough for my customer - all the convert to pst file apps I've found so far cost hundreds of dollars (presumably aimed at corporate customers) - do you know of any free/low priced alternatives?

Thanks

Steve Dunn

CraigV

There are some methods to do so, and I have sent you a PM with the name of the 1 we use...