cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollback Backup Exec version 20.4 to 20.3

Opy_K
Level 3

Hello gurus

I tested a backup of a server running an old version of Windows after upgrading BE from 16 to 20.3 to 20.4 and it fails due to TLS version. Can't upgrade the agent due to Win2003 server.

No warnings during the upgrade or in the migration report. I saw the warning on another backup server so expected to see it on this one, but I think it noticed I was having a good day and didn't want to give me bad news.

So I want to revert to 20.3 which I beleive can do this backup.

Do I just stop services and replace the Data and Catalog folders with the backup folders created by the upgrade?
Or is it better to uninstall, reinstall, copy folders at that point and then run bemig?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

A little more info:
The installed agent is BE2014. That is what stopped getting supported in 20.4.

I was mistaken when I said it has backed up folders, I was thinking it has done Catalog and Data folders, but it was just the mdf and mdf files of the database.
So I beleive my best option for reverting to previous version is to restore from my full backup to v16 and upgrade to 20.3 from there.

Instead of doing that, I'm going to try to stay on 20.4. 
I'll remove the agent altogether from the client server, setup Shares for what I need to backup and backup those.

View solution in original post

Thanks Steve.
My solution of removing the agent altogether and just backing up the share has solved this for me. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

steves_2
Level 4

Thats strange, i can backup and restore a server 2003r2 virtual machine using 20.4.

The agent installed on the 2003 server is 14.2 1180.3142.

Cheers

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Server 2003 is not supported by any version of BE 20.

Hmmm, 2003 SP2. 

It may not be supported but 20.3 at least worked for our Notes server which also ran 2003 SP2.

No advice on process for reverting to previous version?

A little more info:
The installed agent is BE2014. That is what stopped getting supported in 20.4.

I was mistaken when I said it has backed up folders, I was thinking it has done Catalog and Data folders, but it was just the mdf and mdf files of the database.
So I beleive my best option for reverting to previous version is to restore from my full backup to v16 and upgrade to 20.3 from there.

Instead of doing that, I'm going to try to stay on 20.4. 
I'll remove the agent altogether from the client server, setup Shares for what I need to backup and backup those.

Download backup exec 15 fp5 . Extract the agent folder RAWS32 or RAWSx64 and install the windows server.

That will ugrade the agent to 14.2.1180.3142 and will work ok with 20.4

Thanks Steve.
My solution of removing the agent altogether and just backing up the share has solved this for me. 

Also, 20.4 installs a new feature called "Lockdown Server" which was not present in 20.3. This may cause you some headaches.