Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rollback from Backup Exec 2010 R3 to Backup Exec 2010 R2

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi,

does anyone know if it's possible to "downgrade" BE 2010 R3 to R2 version? We do have R2 database backups and of course i could just uninstall R3 version, install R2 version, and restore BE database with beutility.

Problem is that we are using deduplication storage folder, and i think that R2 (with SP1 and latest patches) upgrade to R3 did something to deduplication engine and so on. So, can i use our current deduplication storage folder data anymore so that i would uninstall current R3 version, install R2 version, and create new deduplication storage folder using same NTFS folder for deduplication storage folder as before?

I know that this sounds crazy and this is the last thing i would want to do, but our customer really wants to keep their current deduplication backup sets (about 9TB, protected data about 35TB) so i can't just wipe it out and create deduplication storage folder from scratch, and it seems that continuing with upgraded R3 is really not an option here.

And why would we like to rollback to R2 version?

Well, everything worked well with R2, after upgrading to R3, backup jobs stays on "queued" state, backup speeds dropped down, performance monitor shows that disk performance is very poor and so on... So it seems that something went wrong with deduplication upgrade process, crcontrol shows that deduplication has been busy for 24h without single job running on that time... And "blank" installation works without problems, so although Backup Exec upgrade did complete successfully, deduplication upgrade didn't.

18 REPLIES 18

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...BE 2010 R3 is in Beta...why have you installed this in a production environment?

There is an instruction on the Beta page (which you have obviously joined) on how to upgrade from R3 Beta 1 to the GA version...nothing on how to downgrade.

As with most things, you're looking at an uninstall/reinstall unfortunately, and hopefully you have a pre-upgrade to BE 2010 R3 backup you can revert too!

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

R3 is not on Beta anymore, and wouldn't install Beta to production.

I do have db and catalog backups before R3 upgrade, so at least there's rollback way by creating dedup from scratch.

CraigV

...General Availability wink

When you upgrade, it does ask if you want to back up your data...you should also be able to revert to that. Otherwise it's an uninstall/reinstall unfortunately.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified

CraigV,

"First Availability software is production ready GA software that has passed stringent Symantec release and quality criteria. This is NOT an Alpha or Beta program and we encourage and fully support FA code in production environments" cool

Reverting back to R2 is possible because i did select to backup data (and did extra catalog and DB backup) but i'm just wondering will i loose current backup sets on deduplication storage folder...

Colin,

from my first post;

"Well, everything worked well with R2, after upgrading to R3, backup jobs stays on "queued" state, backup speeds dropped down, performance monitor shows that disk performance is very poor and so on... So it seems that something went wrong with deduplication upgrade process, crcontrol shows that deduplication has been busy for 24h without single job running on that time"

Shortly, significant performance drop.

CraigV

...well, you would only lose data from your backup till where you are AFAIK...only 1 way to find out now. As long as you're not trashing the dedupe folder, you might be able to create a new dedupe folder in that folder where the data is contained.

Binu_Alex
Level 3

I am having the same problem.. Jobs are going in a queued state.  Backup speed to dedup folder is dropped from 1500-2500/mb to 300-500 /mb .   everything was ok w/r2.

James_McKey
Level 5
Employee Certified

If you have not already done so, please open a case with support via phone of mysupport.symantec.com and PM me the case #. This would definitely be an anomoly based on the overwhelming number of people from the First Availability program that said they saw greatly improved backup rates, especially in relation to Deduplication as well as straight System State backups on 2008 machines (with or without Deduplication). If you wipe the Deduplication folder and roll back to R2 we will obviously not be able to determine what the anomoly is or help to resolve it.

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

@Binu - PM me or James your case number please. I am interested as well.

What I do is a major change to how we detect overwritable media. The initial backups will take longer than subsquent backups because of the change.

Binu_Alex
Level 3

Thanks for the reply; here is the case # 

Case # 414-644-953

Binu_Alex
Level 3

I opened a case with symantec as critical still no answer!!!!!!!  I am very surprised to see the lack of support from symantec and we pay a premium for yearly support.

Binu_Alex
Level 3

One other issue I noticed is that Job to dudup stays at 6-8 hours at "loading media" !!!!  I ran an inventory ( inventory ran ok; without any errors)  as someone suggested that didnot help.

CraigV

...what type of storage is your dedupe folder located on...?

Binu_Alex
Level 3

Dell DL-2100 Backup Appliance with MD 1000 Direct Attached Storage Array 13 TB Total Storage 5 TB Used. 

DL 2100

Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4 GHz Dual - Quad Core Processor

24 GB Memory

Windows 2008 SP2 64 Bit ( All MS Patches are installed )

One other interesting thing is that if one of the job is in queued / loading media status ( which can stay there for several hours ) all other jobs stop processing as well

UlrikJPS
Level 3

I also upgraded from BE 2010 R2 to R3 and also now have the problem with dedup jobs stayed permanently in queue status...

However, I haven't (yet) noticed any drops in performance.

This is a trial installation, so I don't know if I am entitled to support from Symantec.

Binu_Alex
Level 3

I got an email from Symantec ADV Technical Support Engineer

"I have taken assignment of your escalated case at this time, and have reviewed the previous case notes. This appears to be related to a known issue currently under investigation by our developers. I will update you shortly with further information."

opg
Level 4

Encountering this issue as well with my upgraded R2 - R3 installation. Jobs targeting the dedupe folder seem to stay in Queued status. Hope it's fixed soon

Mayuresh_Thule
Level 3
Partner Accredited
You have R2 database backups.. so please uninstall the R3 and install the R2 at least stable the R3...