cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Backup Exec 12 on SBS2000 with ISA- Grrrrr

RNW
Level 3

Hi All, 

I have a very odd situation with my Backup Exec 12 install on a SBS2000 server. The server is running ISA 2000 and when I ran the environment checks I can up with the error about the port conflict on 3527. I installed the Backup Exec anyway and used the fix listed in the below KB article

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/274583.htm 

Of course the reg key that is recommended to be changed in the article isn't in that location so I found the location I believe it's getting at and changed the port for the Backup exec Server Service to 32768. Location was HKLM>>Software>>Symantec>>Backup Exec for Windows>>Backup Exec>>Server. 

All appeared to be ok until I received a call from the site to say that internet access speeds were very slow. On investigation I discovered that users that had their browsers configured to use the ISA Proxy Server were fine (speed wise) but those that were configured as SecureNAT (basically have their Gateway as the IP address of the ISA server) were super slow. Furthermore FTP access to external networks is also very slow but gets there in the end.  

I figured that it must be somehow related to the Backup Exec install (as nothing else had changed) so thought I'd try a little test. I disabled all the Backup Exec services and restarted the server. I had the intention to test the internet speeds on the SecureNAT PC's once it was back up. Now here's the weirdness. None of the ISA services would start (Microsoft Firewall, Microsoft ISA Server Control, Microsoft Web Proxy etc). These services wouldn't start because the Remote Access Connection Manager service wouldn't start and hey depend on this service. 

After scratching my head for a while it appears that somehow the backup exec services must now be running for me to start the ISA services!! Setting them to automatic and restarting got all the services running again. I can only guess that this all stems from the Port issue that I first came up against. Has anyone got the faintest idea on this and if so is there a way to fix? I'm not 100% sure that the Port change has taken effect. When running netstat -na I would expect to see the port I set for the Backup Exec Server Service as listening but it's not listed at all. Thanks in advance.

Also sorry for the huge message but thought it best to give as much info as possible.

0 REPLIES 0