cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Backup Exec + Windows Server Backup on same server

Soylent
Level 3

I have been using Windows 2008 R2's (pretty good) "Windows Server Backup" function to run full backups nightly. However, I realized that it also uses the same VSS mode as Backup Exec which I have installed so I can do granular recovery, something that Windows Backup can't do.
So I've had some weird things happen, like BE would do incremental backups on volumes that it never had done a full backup, or Windows Backup would fail saying the VSS provider was already in use...

My question is, should I just disable Windows Backup? Or should I use it in VSS Copy mode instead? Is there any reason to run both anyway?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Frankly speaking Backup Exec is a well proved software to protect the whole server. So there is really no need to use both the software in tandem.

But event then if you wish to use it then You have to ensure that both the softwares are not running the backups at the same time. Since VSS is used by both the softwares one of the backups are bound to fail if they do not get hold of VSS at the given time.

You can run backup from both these software at different time but just not at the same time. Also avoiding any backup strategy like Full backup with one software and Incremental with other. This may create problems during restore as the required files may not be available.

My suggestion would be USE ONLY ONE SOFTWARE (Anyone which you feel is better.)

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Frankly speaking Backup Exec is a well proved software to protect the whole server. So there is really no need to use both the software in tandem.

But event then if you wish to use it then You have to ensure that both the softwares are not running the backups at the same time. Since VSS is used by both the softwares one of the backups are bound to fail if they do not get hold of VSS at the given time.

You can run backup from both these software at different time but just not at the same time. Also avoiding any backup strategy like Full backup with one software and Incremental with other. This may create problems during restore as the required files may not be available.

My suggestion would be USE ONLY ONE SOFTWARE (Anyone which you feel is better.)

Thanks,

-Sush...