cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of HD space for the Catalogs

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Our media server is running out of HD space due to the growing size of the catalogs.

While researching it looks like others are running into this problem, yes I know about truncating catalogs, but our company does not want us deleting catalogs. Our issue is it seems that since we upgraded to BE 2010 the catalog files are alot larger than they used to be in older versions? Can anyone confirm this?

Our HD is only 70GB, the catalog folder is now reaching 30GB, and we have no other drives. My question is, are we able to use an external Hard Drive as an alternative location for the Catalogs folder? I tried a 16GB flash drive to see if it would come up as an option in the Tools>Options>Settings> Catalogs > Catalog drive drop down menu, but it doesn't appear. We really need a solution to this.

Due to the nature of our business, we may have to go back and retrieve a file from a couple years ago, and I'd prefer to not have to re-catalog all the tapes from that year just to find a specific file, which I would have to do if we turned on truncating.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that you can only have one catalog path.  You said that your catalogs is occupying 30GB and yet you are going to move them to a 16GB USB drive!?!?!  It could be that the USB drive does not show up because it has insufficient space.  You should use a bigger dirve.

If your server has an extra bay, I would suggest that you install another internal drive.  The USB connection is not the most reliable connection in the world.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If the USB drive doesn't work even with a drive letter, and your drive holding the catalogs is only 70GB, then you have these choices:

1. Buy a smaller USB external drive and move the catalogs to this using the TN below (actually try this method with the USB flash drive you have currently!):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH29603

2. truncate your catalogs and run a catalog when you need to restore data (I know you don't really want to do so);

3. Try compress the Catalogs folder (may lead to lower performance).

Thanks!

jgrywacheski
Level 4

The flash drive doesn't seem to show up as a drive in the drop down menu of the catalog drive settings. Although it does show up when you select computer. Will try with an external drive and see if it will show up. Would BE services need to be restarted for this to show up in the drop down menu?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that you can only have one catalog path.  You said that your catalogs is occupying 30GB and yet you are going to move them to a 16GB USB drive!?!?!  It could be that the USB drive does not show up because it has insufficient space.  You should use a bigger dirve.

If your server has an extra bay, I would suggest that you install another internal drive.  The USB connection is not the most reliable connection in the world.

jgrywacheski
Level 4

Plugged in a larger Hard Drive and it showed up as a drive, was able to re-direct catalogs to this drive.

Issue resolved. Thank you for all your help.