Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBE12 - Infinite - Allow append

crocs
Level 4

Hi!
I could use some advice.

I backup a phisical machine every week a Sunday.
This full backup is associate a media sets name: VCENTER - FULL.

One full backup is 35gb and the tape is LTO4 - 800gb.

I want to maintain this backup for 2 weeks, then i set overwrite protection period 2 weeks.

My problem is Append period (now set 6 days ), the full backup is very little and setting a appen period 6 days,
there is a waste of space!
Expired six day , SBE take another tape !
but wrote very little.
This is a situation:

In this case , i can set Append Period: INFINITE - ALLOW APPEND ?
is the best thing to do? to avoid waste of tape!?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

then when the tape is full, certainly the sbe take another tape

Yes, definately. And the tape will be kept away from backup operation for 6 days from the day it became FULL (As you configured 6 days OPP). 

Set Infinite- allow append ?

Yes, you can set it to infinite append. I do not see/didn't faced any problems with that setting while using tapes.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi In this case , i can set Append Period: INFINITE - ALLOW APPEND ? Ans: End of last append is the time when overwrite protection is applied on tape,so if you set infinite append that means after the tspe is overwritten first time ,it will keep on appending until tape is completely filled. So yes you can use infinite allow append to use tape to it full capacity. Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since the size of your backups are so small, have you considered using disk, instead of tape.  The advantage of using disk is that you do not need to stage the backup to disk during a GRT restore.  This makes a GRT restore from disk a lot faster than from tape.

crocs
Level 4
thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I have the available storage.

crocs
Level 4

Ok thanks!

When the tape is full , the SBE restarts from the beginning ( same tape ) ? overwriting data expired ( overwrite protection period - expired ) ?.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Backup exec would have it own way of managing the tapes. Yes once tape is overwritable it will start writing the tape from first.

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

overwriting data expired ( overwrite protection period - expired ) ?.

A tape is expired means all the backup images on that media are expired. Data on the tape will be overwritten completely once the tape becomes overwritable. (You can think of it as erasing the tape completely and writing the new data. )

That is why OPP of the media will be recalculated everytime data gets append to it.

crocs
Level 4

Thanks Kiran!

humm ... then when the tape is full, certainly the sbe take another tape ( minimum two for media sets - VCENTER - FULL.).

In my case , How would you do?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

then when the tape is full, certainly the sbe take another tape

Yes, definately. And the tape will be kept away from backup operation for 6 days from the day it became FULL (As you configured 6 days OPP). 

Yes, you can set it to infinite append. I do not see/didn't faced any problems with that setting while using tapes.