Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBE12 - Keep Data for 4 Weeks append period

crocs
Level 4

hi,

I do not understund append period.

About the default media set Keep Data for 4 Weeks for example ( applied to the library backup ).

The backup data is protected from overwrite for four weeks. -> For me this is ok.
The media can be appended to for six days. -> But after the six days what happens? takes another tape ? When the media becomes " appendend "?

Then it should give infinite append ! why give a limit?

Thank.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Append period: Starts from the time when the first backup is written to media. Media will become appendable after writing some data to it (if media set settings permit). Blank medias are only overwritable not appendable. 

You have media1,media 2 in SCRATCH media set.

Job using media set Test started on Aug 1 and moved media 1 from scratch to Test set and wrote the backup data to it. So media 1 will become Appendable till Aug 7th. If the same job running again on coming days with Append to media setting, then the same media will be used till 7th (allocation time is also important). If it becomes FULL before that, then media 2 will be moved from SCRATCH to Test set and will be used for backups.

Let's say the media doesn't become FULL and was used for all the backups till it becomes Not Appendable i.e 7th. So Overwrite Protection starts from there and the media will be overwrite protected till 4 weeks from there on. 

If the media becomes FULL on Aug 5th, Overwrite protection starts from there and media will be overwrite protected till 4 weeks from there on.

Overwrite protections will ensure all the data (including last written) on media will be protected for mentioned perioed. So if a media set is configured with append period 6 days and OPP 28 days, then the media associated with that media set will be overwrite protected for a maximum of 34 days and minimum of 28 days.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Append period: Starts from the time when the first backup is written to media. Media will become appendable after writing some data to it (if media set settings permit). Blank medias are only overwritable not appendable. 

You have media1,media 2 in SCRATCH media set.

Job using media set Test started on Aug 1 and moved media 1 from scratch to Test set and wrote the backup data to it. So media 1 will become Appendable till Aug 7th. If the same job running again on coming days with Append to media setting, then the same media will be used till 7th (allocation time is also important). If it becomes FULL before that, then media 2 will be moved from SCRATCH to Test set and will be used for backups.

Let's say the media doesn't become FULL and was used for all the backups till it becomes Not Appendable i.e 7th. So Overwrite Protection starts from there and the media will be overwrite protected till 4 weeks from there on. 

If the media becomes FULL on Aug 5th, Overwrite protection starts from there and media will be overwrite protected till 4 weeks from there on.

Overwrite protections will ensure all the data (including last written) on media will be protected for mentioned perioed. So if a media set is configured with append period 6 days and OPP 28 days, then the media associated with that media set will be overwrite protected for a maximum of 34 days and minimum of 28 days.

crocs
Level 4

Perfect Kiran!!

But What does this mean" Media will become appendable after writing some data to it (if media set settings permit)." ?! after Aug 7th when the job use ( resumes) the same media ( media1 )?

I did not understand when it again becomes " appendable ".

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You have inserted a new media into the library and done an inventory on it. It got assigned to SCRATCH set automatically. At this stage the media is not appendable but overwritable. When a job started, BE searched in the target media set and moved the newly inserted media to target set as it couldn't find any media there and started writing data to it. Because of this write operation the media will become appendable. 

if media set settings permit: Means, if you configure media set with 0 hours append period, then even after writing some data to the media it will not become appendable

I did not understand when it again becomes " appendable ".

Continuing with the first example i gave, media1 was appendable till Aug 7th and used for backups. Then it became overwrite protected till Sept 4th. When the job runs again on Sept 5th, the media might be used for overwrite operation. If used, from that day it will become appendable for 6 more days.

Hope i am not confusing you....

crocs
Level 4

ok now I understand!

Then it agrees set " infinit append! " to take advantage of all the space of the media.

If after 6 days was not filled entire the tape, the free space is wasted or not?since the 4 September  the tape is reusable.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Setting Append period to infinite is a good idea while using tapes for backups, unless you have some specific requirement like one week working day's backups should goto one tape, next week to other tape, you can set it to infinite to use the tape untill it becomes full.

If after 6 days was not filled entire the tape, the free space is wasted or not?

Yes, Wasted.

crocs
Level 4

Thank you very much!!