cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBE2012: BE automatically adds servers to list (+more)

pezstylez
Level 3

All,

I'm still learning Symantece Backup Exec 2012 (SBE), and have a few basic questions.

1. Why and how can I prevent SBE from adding servers automatically to my back up list. It does not create the job, but the servers are added automatically. Such as: DAG, Server Farm, the SBE server itself, FTP, Enterprise Vault, etc. -- Yes, these things will be backed up, but what if I don't want some of them to show up? If I remove them, they end up coming back.

2. Why can't I remove the SBE server itself? I have two entries for my backup server and I can not remove either (I only want one, even if the other is not an actual job)

3. How can I rename servers in my list? Some servers are auto-added with my domain attached to the end, and I'd rather it not -- a bit OCD, but I'm sure there is a way. 

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi I'm still learning Symantece Backup Exec 2012 (SBE), and have a few basic questions. 1. Why and how can I prevent SBE from adding servers automatically to my back up list. It does not create the job, but the servers are added automatically. Such as: DAG, Server Farm, the SBE server itself, FTP, Enterprise Vault, etc. -- Yes, these things will be backed up, but what if I don't want some of them to show up? If I remove them, they end up coming back. Ans In this case if you don't want server to come up after they are been removed from backupexec then go to those remote server and go to remote agent utility and in there please remove the publishing of remote agent which is publishing media server name and then check ,considering you don't want to see them means you don't want to protect them and if that is the case you can uninstall remote agent too from those servers. But I think removing publishing will do the trick 2. Why can't I remove the SBE server itself? I have two entries for my backup server and I can not remove either (I only want one, even if the other is not an actual job) Ans Yes you are right you cannot remove the server on which backupexec is installed as you have installed it to protect the server ,so it is disabled and cannot be removed, as there are 2 entries for the media server name ,only way to remove one name would be bt editing backupexec database but for that would recommend open up a case with symantec and do that by consulting them,so that they can help you to remove duplicate name. 3. How can I rename servers in my list? Some servers are auto-added with my domain attached to the end, and I'd rather it not -- a bit OCD, but I'm sure there is a way. Ans Those server which are auto added is due to publishing of remote agent on remote server which is publishing the name of media server ,so you cannot rename but using add ribbon in backupexec you can add them by IP address or by host name if you don't like fqdn. Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi I'm still learning Symantece Backup Exec 2012 (SBE), and have a few basic questions. 1. Why and how can I prevent SBE from adding servers automatically to my back up list. It does not create the job, but the servers are added automatically. Such as: DAG, Server Farm, the SBE server itself, FTP, Enterprise Vault, etc. -- Yes, these things will be backed up, but what if I don't want some of them to show up? If I remove them, they end up coming back. Ans In this case if you don't want server to come up after they are been removed from backupexec then go to those remote server and go to remote agent utility and in there please remove the publishing of remote agent which is publishing media server name and then check ,considering you don't want to see them means you don't want to protect them and if that is the case you can uninstall remote agent too from those servers. But I think removing publishing will do the trick 2. Why can't I remove the SBE server itself? I have two entries for my backup server and I can not remove either (I only want one, even if the other is not an actual job) Ans Yes you are right you cannot remove the server on which backupexec is installed as you have installed it to protect the server ,so it is disabled and cannot be removed, as there are 2 entries for the media server name ,only way to remove one name would be bt editing backupexec database but for that would recommend open up a case with symantec and do that by consulting them,so that they can help you to remove duplicate name. 3. How can I rename servers in my list? Some servers are auto-added with my domain attached to the end, and I'd rather it not -- a bit OCD, but I'm sure there is a way. Ans Those server which are auto added is due to publishing of remote agent on remote server which is publishing the name of media server ,so you cannot rename but using add ribbon in backupexec you can add them by IP address or by host name if you don't like fqdn. Thanks

pezstylez
Level 3

Thanks for the info.