cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS2k3 R2 SP2 - BE11d Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.

JasonTomisser
Level 2
I receive the above error when running a backup job in BE11d.  This problem I've seen more than once with Small Business Server 2k3 and BE11d.  In the past I've I fixed it by using the Administrator account to run the backup jobs.  However that is not possible at this location.  I created a backup account when installing the program and then followed up with the wizard once the program launches for the first time(I verified the user is a member of the "Administrators" group).  The server is SBS 2k3 R2 with SP2 installed, BE11d Rev6235(Hotfix 6,9,10,11,13,15,16,19,20).  From what I can tell it's a problem with backing up the information store.  I've created hundreds of backup jobs and in version 10 used the same logon account numerous times.  I'm not sure if there is a problem with BE11d and the logon accounts that it creates or what. The actual error message is located below:

Set Detail Information - Backup \\SBS\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

Set type               : Backup
Set status             : Completed
Set description        :
Resource name          : \\SBS\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
Logon account          : System Logon Account
Encryption key         : No
Error                  : e0008488 - Access is denied.
Agent used                     : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : No
Image used                     : No
Job Completion Status
Job ended: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 10:02:50 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266178.htm

[-]Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- D:
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to directory Users Shared Folders\tech1\Security\Database.
Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.

Message Edited by JasonTomisser on 04-25-200711:15 AM

5 REPLIES 5

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Jason,

Here is a technote that describes the necessary rights needed to backup Exchange:

Are you backing up to tape or to disk?

Patty

JasonTomisser
Level 2
It is backing up to tape.  I will make the changes listed in the article and see if it works tonight.  Thanks.

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
Because of security in SBS2K3 you MUST use the administrator account, this is your only option, sorry. This is stated in the administrator's guide.

JasonTomisser
Level 2
Do you by chance know what is causing the security conflict?  Is this new to SP2, R2, or BE11d?  Backing up Exchange on SBS2k3 (no SP2, maybe R2) using a secondary account like this has worked before on version BE10. 

Michael_Gossett
Level 4
Partner Certified
I don't remember what causes it, I think it says why in the Administrator's guide, if not I have no idea...