cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDLT 320 firmware version

zonalrm
Level 2

I wonder if someone can help. We have a problem with tapes becoming stuck in our SDLT 320 tape drives often, and I would like to know what firmware version I should have on the SDLT 320 tapes drives, in order that it be most compatible with Backup Exec 2010 R2.

We have tried v100, v96 and v94. The tapes become stuck in all of them. We have tried troubleshooting in many other areas, but I cannot find this particular information anywhere. The SDLT 320 tape drive on Overland Neo robotic is listed in the HCL (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050), but it does not mention a firmware version.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,

R.

4 REPLIES 4

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

How old are the tapes?

Did you try with new ones?

Are all the tapes that get stucked or just ones?

Why point to a firmware problem?

May be your drive is damage, is what I guess.

Check if RSM is stopped and disabled.

Try to clean the drive

Regards,

JoaoMatos

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When looking at the HCl the inquiry string tell the firmware version . In your case it is  QUANTUM^SDLT320. You can check this in the BEdaig log which you can run from the Device tab by right clciking the server name and click on run diagnostics . Or you can check the ADAAM log .

zonalrm
Level 2

Tried new tapes, random tapes sticking. Had technician looking at the hardware twice. Hardware side seems OK, it only seems to be a problem when Backup Exec speaks to the hardware that there is an issue.

Just spoke with Overland, and they noticed that in Device Manager my Neo media changer driver was listed as Neo Media Changer, but to be compatible with 2010 R2, I had to change it to a newer driver version from Microsoft, which then lists it as "Unknown Media Changer". Also, as you suggested JoaoMatos, he noticed that the "Removable Storage" service was running, so I've now stopped and disabled that.

I am testing with a backup now, so will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

As you had the Removable storage service running that would have caused this issue ..So I beleive it would run fine . But still as per your question have a look ont he firmware version as well incase if that did not help ...