cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDLT 320 tapes

Not applicable
We use an ADIC FastStor2 with SDLT 320 tapes. Part of our rotation strategyis doing differentials Mon-Thurs. I will be using the same set of tapes formy differentials, but I don't exactly know when I need to expire the media.What guidelines should I use? The manufacturer of my tapes says that thetapes are good for 1,000,000 head passes, but that doesn't mean anything tome? Do I base it on drive hours, size of data written/read, # of mounts,hard errors? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.Scott
2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable
Hi ScottWe have been using up until this month a Compaq TL 895 robotic library withDLT7000 drives we use DLT 4 tapes and only replace them once the media isreported as bad this has proved to be up to 18 months, the drives are cleaneddaily and the backups run 7 days a week some people might say 12 months butif the media is ok to write to and read from then i dont believe there isa rule. "Scott Adams" wrote:>We use an ADIC FastStor2 with SDLT 320 tapes. Part of our rotation strategy>is doing differentials Mon-Thurs. I will be using the same set of tapesfor>my differentials, but I don't exactly know when I need to expire the media.>What guidelines should I use? The manufacturer of my tapes says that the>tapes are good for 1,000,000 head passes, but that doesn't mean anythingto>me? Do I base it on drive hours, size of data written/read, # of mounts,>hard errors? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.>>Scott>>

Not applicable
Hi Scott,I think you may want to check the media statistics, like the soft write &hard write errors on that particular tapes.If the hard write are more than 2 & soft write are more than 100 , I willrecommend to replace the tape since you may have diffcult restoring the dataintegrity.cheersRakesh"John Considine" wrote:>>Hi Scott>We have been using up until this month a Compaq TL 895 robotic library with>DLT7000 drives we use DLT 4 tapes and only replace them once the media is>reported as bad this has proved to be up to 18 months, the drives are cleaned>daily and the backups run 7 days a week some people might say 12 monthsbut>if the media is ok to write to and read from then i dont believe there is>a rule. >>"Scott Adams" wrote:>>We use an ADIC FastStor2 with SDLT 320 tapes. Part of our rotation strategy>>is doing differentials Mon-Thurs. I will be using the same set of tapes>for>>my differentials, but I don't exactly know when I need to expire the media.>>What guidelines should I use? The manufacturer of my tapes says that the>>tapes are good for 1,000,000 head passes, but that doesn't mean anything>to>>me? Do I base it on drive hours, size of data written/read, # of mounts,>>hard errors? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.>>>>Scott>>>>>