Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR-Backup from a copy of a backup set

goscho
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi everybody,

I've just a problem restoring a Windows 2008 SBS with BE2012.This server is on another location.

I made a complete backup to an network drive. I copied all backup sets from this fullbackup with duplication function in BE to a USB-drive.

In my office I want to recover this server without installing Windows and BE.

I'm using SDR, locally connected storage, giving the programm the correct .DR File, choosing the last backup and the correct folder with the copy of this backup set.

Error message is:

The media for some of the backup sets could not be found in the selected storage device. Add another disk storage device containing the media required to restore the backup sets.

Is anybody able to tell me, how to work with copy of backup sets, if the Mediaserver isn't available or how to copy backups right, to test complete backups using SDR.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goscho
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Now I got an answer from technical support, that with BE2014 and BE15 SDR with duplicated Backup sets works. But not with backups made with Be2012, an upgrade needs to be installed.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you duplicate a backup set, the .dr file for this backup is no longer valid for the duplicates backup set

goscho
Level 3
Partner Accredited

If the .dr File is not valid after duplication, what .dr File should I use?

There was no other one created after duplication-job.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

None.  You  can't use the duplicated backup set for a stand-alone SDR recovery which is what you are doing.  

If there is a media server and the duplicated backup set is cataloged on the media server, then you use the catalog to point to the duplicated backup set.

goscho
Level 3
Partner Accredited

It's a pity.

Please tell me, what to do in my situation.

I have a SBS2008 with BE2012 installed. Backup targets are a NAS with 2 ISCSI-Volumes, connected to this SBS and a build-in Tape-drive. I have several SDR-backups to restore this server.

Now I want to migrate this SBS to a new hardware with Windows 2012 and Exchange 2013.

To test this migration I made a copy of a complete backup set and want to restore it on different hardware.

I did this more than hundred times with Symantec System Recovery. That's really easy.

Now with BE and SDR it's the same unusable thing as with IDR in the past. Installing a SBS with BE first, only to restore this server, couldn't be true.

Why the hell is nobody in the SSR-division able to show those BE-guys how to restore a complete Windows server from a boot console?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry but neither Backup Exec or SSR can migrate an Exchange database from Exchange 2007 (the version in SBS 2008) to Exchange 2013. This is a Microsoft limitation

Also SDR (BE) and SRD (SSR) will recover the original operating system so cannot be used to migrate from SBS 2008 to Windows 2012 either

As such not really sure what your expectations are although SDR and SRD should both work to recover the server for DR purposes, however neither are designed as tools for migration to new OS/Exchange version

goscho
Level 3
Partner Accredited

You misunderstood everything.

I want to restore the original SBS to test with this copy the migration to W2012R2.

SDR should be used to simplify the recovery process, but won't work.

Now I  take the test server, bring it into the location with the SBS2008 and do the restore with SDR (using Remote Mediaserver Function and not from USB drive with duplicated backup set).

Then I return to my office and could do my work (testing the migration to W2012).

BTW: I'm using BESR/SSR since more than 10 years and BE since 1997. BE wasn't ever be usable to restore a complete machine without installing the original OS. And to different hardware generally not.

Nothing changed until today.

One BE-Version (2010?) had a SSR-Option to do the same as SSR could (restoring Windows-Server without installing Windows or the Backup-Program, you only have to boot from a recovery console).

Didn't test this Option.

Is somebody able to tell me, what to do with the duplicate function in BE?

goscho
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Now I got an answer from technical support, that with BE2014 and BE15 SDR with duplicated Backup sets works. But not with backups made with Be2012, an upgrade needs to be installed.