Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR Recovering Server into Live Environment

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Hi there,

Hope you can help.

I am trying to recover one of my 2003 servers using SDR.  I am wondering, at what point in the restore process will the reocvered server be live on the network?  I ask this because the server I have backed up is live and working on the network, this is purely a test to see what would happen if I restored the server to "other" hardware.

My media server is on the network and the backup was done to tape so need to connect via live network (unless I rerun the backup to disk and then copy the data to external usb media).

Any help greatfully recieved

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You boot off SDR DVD, then restore the data at the end of which a reboot is needed.

After you reboot (and sort out any network drivers for the replacement hardware) the server will be on the network, not before.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You boot off SDR DVD, then restore the data at the end of which a reboot is needed.

After you reboot (and sort out any network drivers for the replacement hardware) the server will be on the network, not before.

lmosla
Level 6

Hello, have you seen this document on Creating an SDR cd?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180099

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Thank you for that, just wanted to make sure that test restore of live server and the actual live server are never on the network alive at the same time.

Kind regards

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Thanks for your reply, yes I have that document but thank you for the link.

Best wishes

Simon

Simon_Pert1974
Level 3

Sorry Colin,

Meant to ask, is that the first reboot or the second reboot?

Thank you

Simon