cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR backup is disabled if any folders are excluded on E: volume

PCFMD
Level 3

Server 2008R2, system is running Oracle.

When creating a backup job I can use SDR if I include both the C: and E: volumes. If I exclude a single folder on the E: drive (even the recycle bin) then SDR option is disabled. I have a few servers that behave this way and a few that don't. My understanding was for SDR to work, only the boot volume + system state was required.

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the below blog on Excluding files from the SDR backup.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/exclude-files-simplified-disaster-recovery-sdr-backup-backup-exec-2012?page=0#comment-9226301

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If any autostarting services have their program files on drives other than C: then this can be enough to make that other drive be marked as critical for SDR.

On one of my test servers I even ended up with a USB drive marked as critical purely because I had manually started a driver used to mount ISO images that was located on this USB disk.

It is possible to work out what causes a disk to be marked as critical for SDR but it does involved manually reviewing debug logs and is not something that can be easily explained in the forums.

PCFMD
Level 3

Thanks, I'll take a look at that info.

PCFMD
Level 3

That would probably explain what it is since Oracle is installed on the E: volume and most certainly all of the services would be pointing to that.