cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR bedrwiz.exe Application error on "Recover This Computer Wizard"

WTulaba
Level 3

Using Backup Exec 2012 to do a test restore of a server onto another machine. Downloaded and ran the 32-bit DSR.iso and got to the point where you enter the login information of the BE Media server. Click "Next" a second goes by and I get an error "bedrwiz.exe - Application Error" "The Instruction at 0x77274123 referenced memory at 0x0302a000. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program. Once I click OK it returns me to the main SDR menu at "Recover This Computer" screen. I've attached the log files. Server being restored is a 32-bit Server 2003 machine.

I am able to map drives and get a IP Address just fine. If I enter the wrong credentials it tells me it can't connect.

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls retry to download the .iso & make a custom SDR disk (to rule out any corruption possibility). If you still recieve an appliation error post this, would recommend you to log a formal support case.

KevinP1
Level 4

I see from the bottom of your post you have ip addresses.  So my original comment is not valid.

WTulaba
Level 3

I opened up a support case, so we'll see what happens. I'll post up findings because I can't see myself as the only one to run into this issue.

Rigel
Level 2

Do you have any follow up on this?  We are experiecing the same error now.  Last year when I tested SDR it was working fine.

beerror.png

Also to add we redownloaded the IMGs and created new SDRs and saw the same issue.  The work around suggested in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH199850&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fs...was to define a static IP and map a network drive to your backup server.  That worked fine but the backup data lives on tapes so it could not locate the data.

yakirwww
Level 2

there is something new about this issue? this is known to symantec since October 2012 and still there is no appropriate correction.

as Rigel said , the workaround its nice, but it usefull only to whom has the backup data on local drive.

I have a network that this is the main backup of her. i also wanted to test the SDR recovery and surprise to discover that i suffering from this error. i use tape to backup all the data so now if i will have a crash all this nice SDR option can't help me.

My jobs are successful. i also try to configure a static IP and DNS- still have this error.

This is a critical issue and it seems that nobody of the tech support is care.

waiting for appropriate answer from the tech support about this issue

matt_esterhuize
Level 2

I also get the same error!

BackupExecSDR.JPG

Please can someone give this some attention as I can see no support is being given on this case!

matt_esterhuize
Level 2

BackupExecSDR.JPG

Hi

I also get the error.

Can you please assist us in getting thisn sorted?

Rigel
Level 2

Here is a follow up I got from a tech on May 6th, 2013.

With the info you gave me earlier, I believe I have narrowed down the issue to a product defect.  Please see the link below for more information.  It can be the same error read or written.   Unfortunately, this issue is not fixable in our current version of BE and there will be no fix.  The workaround, as you discovered, is to bring the media local.  It doesn't say exactly where this issue came in, but it was discovered after BE 2012 SP1.

Unfortunately, SP2 is coming out soon, but it will not have a fix for this.  The issue had to do with something that seems to effect the core of the product and since there was a viable workaround it may not have as much importance.  It's note that it will be fixed by our next release which should be out by the end of the year.  

In summary this is a bug introduced to the program.  It 'used' to work.  There is no plans to fix it as of then but it was on the 'to do' list.  The work around is to move your backup media to a local drive. Attach that drive to the server you want to restore via SDR.  Run the SDR, find the catalogs and then navigate to the backup media set that is locally attached.  It took me so long to get this answer.. 

yakirwww
Level 2

thats a shame for Symantec , i think that there alot of organizations that use this product and trust this SDR option and do not even know that it maybe don't work.

and we, that know and report this issue don't receive appropiate answer and fix.