Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR of BE 2012 media server

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

i was wondering in case of disaster for my BE media server, what is the best practice for recovery.

i'm doing a regular backup of my BE media server as well as the catalog.

my idea was to create a SDR iso to have in case of emergency, and when the server is up and running again to recover the latest information by doing inventory and catalog of my tapes.

is that possible? i've tried it on my VM, it all worked well, but i couldn't recover my backup sets. did i miss something?

or is there a much simpler way to do this?

thanks

Jana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Set your BEDB Maintenance to just before you run the Backup job that creates the SDR set This should mean your catalogs and BEDB content are close to being consistent. Also run this backup when no other backups are running. I would suggest that the media server job uses it's own set of tapes and starts as an overwrite as well as in a DR it is the one thing you need back on it's own before considering what else to get back.

Then after the SDR restore use BEUTILITY to recover the database from backup - you will still have lost the media retention for the actual media that owns the last backup set(s) for the media server but all of the other media sets and job configs should be back.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Jana,

SDR seems to be a good option and recommended too. Only thing where you can not use SDR to restore the Media server is when the backups are going to Dedupe folder.

Otherwise it is a good option.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Colin_Weaver

Set your BEDB Maintenance to just before you run the Backup job that creates the SDR set This should mean your catalogs and BEDB content are close to being consistent. Also run this backup when no other backups are running. I would suggest that the media server job uses it's own set of tapes and starts as an overwrite as well as in a DR it is the one thing you need back on it's own before considering what else to get back.

Then after the SDR restore use BEUTILITY to recover the database from backup - you will still have lost the media retention for the actual media that owns the last backup set(s) for the media server but all of the other media sets and job configs should be back.

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Sush, i don't have a dedupe folder, just tapes. which is good in case of disaster. Colin, so let me see if i got this right. i can use this procedure http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180099 but before creating the SDR iso i should run the BEDB maintenance. after SDR restore i do 'recover database from backup' and i should have the latest BE configuration also, i should backup the media server on different tapes. so if that's it, i thank you for your help

Bulbous
Level 5
Partner

Hi Jana,

In order to do an SDR restore of your media server in the event of a disaster, you will need the recovery media, your backup tape AND the .dr file that was created when you backed up your media server.

The .dr file is created after the backup runs (so it won't be on your tape). By default, the.dr files are located at: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\sdr\Data but you can also specify a secondary location to have them created at (and this is strongly recommended).

Jana_T
Level 4
Partner Accredited

thanks for the help

regards