cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDR unavailable on the backup server itself?

Thomas_Manning
Level 3

Just implemented Backup Exec 2012 and SDR and noticed a limitation. If you are using SDR for baremetal revocery of the backup server itself, without being forced to backup the backup to disk drive, there is no way to use SDR on the backup server itself. Obviously I do not want to backup the entire backup to disk drive to backup the server itself but when I attempt to exclude the backup to disk drive, SDR greys out.

Is there any way around this or is SDR not an option for backup to disk environments?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

The following system resources are considered critical. They must be included in backups if you want to be able to use the backup sets to perform a full system restore:
  • System volume (including EFI and utility partitions)
  • Boot volume (executing operating system)
  • Services application volumes (boot, system, and automatic startup)
  • System State devices and volumes (including Active Directory, System Files, etc.)

It is not that if you exclude individual folders from a volume SRD will turn off.

I can exclude individual volumes from F: and SDR will still remain On.

The problem here is, you have Backup Exec installed on your H: so it will need that volume to be selected (as whole)

Can you attempt to move your Backup to Disk location to another volume (i.e .non-critical volume) if possible? That should allow you to exclude the folder and still keep SDR On

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Where is your backup to disk located? if it on the C: by any chance?

Thomas_Manning
Level 3

No it is on a different drive (H:\incrementals). All I need to do is exclude that one folder and I am good but I would think there would be functionality within BUEX that would recognize where the backup to disk images are stored and exclude them from backup or at least not require them as a dependancy for SDR.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

In order to keep Simplified Disaster Recovery ON, Backup Exec needs critical system components to be include (mostly they are C: and System State)

do you have C and System State selected on your media server backup job?

As you can see in the example below, I have unchecked all other components. With only C and System State the Simplified Disaster Recovery indicatory = ON.

Note: My Backup to Disk is configured on F:

Thomas_Manning
Level 3

I have found deselecting just about anything turns SDR off. I am specifically referring to the folder on the backup server that contains all the .bkf files, any attempt to exclude that folder results in SDR being disabled.

So as I see it if you use backup to disk on the local backup server, SDR will never work unless you backup ALL .bkf files thus doubling my backup size/window (this resource contains all other server backups) just to backup the backup exec server.

And yes, I am backing up everything including C;\ and sys state.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

I'm not too sure whats going on with your media server. Coz if you see the screenshot i posted above, for me it does leave SDR = ON with only C and SS selected.

Like i said before, my Backup to Disk drive is F: (which is not selected)

Have you entered any alternate path under Backup Exec - Configuration and Settings - Backup Exec Settings - Simplified Disaster Recovery?

Thomas_Manning
Level 3

I appologise, I didnt see your screenshot until I already posted my response. Attached is what I am experiencing. I am guessing the issue is that I am trying to exclude a folder not a drive. There is data on the H:\ drive I actually need but just need to exclude H:\incrementals. In your scenario you are excluding an entire drive. So I am guessing SDR will work for drive exclusions not folder exclusions?

Also, there is no alt config under the configuration pane. Our default path is "h:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\sdr\Data\".

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

The following system resources are considered critical. They must be included in backups if you want to be able to use the backup sets to perform a full system restore:
  • System volume (including EFI and utility partitions)
  • Boot volume (executing operating system)
  • Services application volumes (boot, system, and automatic startup)
  • System State devices and volumes (including Active Directory, System Files, etc.)

It is not that if you exclude individual folders from a volume SRD will turn off.

I can exclude individual volumes from F: and SDR will still remain On.

The problem here is, you have Backup Exec installed on your H: so it will need that volume to be selected (as whole)

Can you attempt to move your Backup to Disk location to another volume (i.e .non-critical volume) if possible? That should allow you to exclude the folder and still keep SDR On

Thomas_Manning
Level 3

Thank you for your assistance, we will plan to migrate the install off that drive at a later time. At least now I can design around this limitation.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

You're welcome.

You may want to save this technote for later use wink

Changing the location of a disk storage device - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74385

Thomas_Manning
Level 3

Unfortunately that probaby wont be an option since we have allocated all the drive space required for backup to disks to the H:\ drive and moving it will not reclaim the space unless the drive itself is deleted and recreated.

We will likely move the backup exec install itself and leave the backups themselves on the H:\ drive.