CldFlt                                  0       180451         0
FileCrypt                               0       141100         0
luafv                                   1       135000         0
npsvctrig                               1        46000         0
Wof                                     1        40700         0

and trying to remove virtfile.sys:

PS C:\Windows\system32> fltmc unload VirtFile

Unload failed with error: 0x801f0010
Do not detach the filter from the volume at this time.

I've got BE 21.2 R2 - but because it's a charity license (technically an NFR), there's no support, despite having a valid license slf.  I've been using BE 20.x  and 21.x for about a year now for this charity on a Windows 2019 box.  All was fine until last month when backups would get stuck as Queued.  They could stay queued for weeks!  I'm a volunteer and the only admin.  Pretty desperate for help.

I had previously tried everything to get jobs to actually run, including updating to 21.2 from 21.0.  I didn't see any activity on any storage, and just to be sure, I added new USB storage and tried a new job to there = still queued forever.

The update to 21.2 (r2 1900) failed and it rolled back.  I restarted, and tried again and it did update.  But still, no backups would run, they'd just stay queued.

So I tried an uninstall - which failed.  After that I couldn't even launch BE.   

I've been trying to re-install since them without any luck.   I can't even get the agent to install on this server.

+ 06-02-2021,12:42:15 : RAWS_SetLdsVffLogging - Failed to set the registry value 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile\Parameters' - [Max Log Entry]=0. Ensure this value is manually set. - Error code 5: Access is denied.

+ 06-02-2021,12:42:20 : RAWS_SetLdsVffLogging - Failed to set the registry value 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile\Parameters' - [Max Log Entry]=0. Ensure this value is manually set. - Error code 5: Access is denied.

+ 06-02-2021,12:42:25 : RAWS_SetLdsVffLogging - Failed to set the registry value 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile\Parameters' - [Enable Logging]=0. Ensure this value is manually set. - Error code 5: Access is denied.

I've taken ownership of hklm\system\currentcontrolset\serves\virtfile, but I cannot delete that key, I assume because virtfile.sys is running and that appears to have something to do with the lockdown service.  Beyond that, I'm lost (as if you couldn't tell)....

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I cannot open a case with support because it's a charity license.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

udel9102
Level 3

Safe mode with command prompt.  Renamed virtfile.sys, restarted.  Then I was able to delete the registry key and 21.2 installed.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

udel9102
Level 3

Safe mode with command prompt.  Renamed virtfile.sys, restarted.  Then I was able to delete the registry key and 21.2 installed.

I had this issue.  It was related to licensing and the lockdown service.  All the steps to manually force the removal of virtfile might not allow rebuild and the server might need a complete fresh load, not sure.  Virtfile.sys needs to be removed by the installer.

I believe you have to run the Backup Exec installer and remove the hyper-V license and reboot.  Then re-run the installer and uninstall the Hyper-V option for backup exec.  Reboot.  This removes the .sys file installation.  Then re-run the installer and re-select the hyper-v license and reboot again.  The virtfile.sys issue should be installed correctly and resolve the issue.

If I delete the virtfile entry from registry.. Will there be any chance my server goes down after some time?