cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP2 for BE 2010 R3 fails with LU1812

Stefano_Gianfra
Level 4

Hi,

applying Service Pack 2 on MS Server 2003 via LiveUpdate fails with LiveUpdate error message

LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran. This update was not applied.

In the systems application log there is an error event: MsInstaller 1024, which states "error code 1603".

If you click on the link presented in LiveUpdate error message window you're guided to button for an automatic hotfix program, which does not work (after some seconds a message comes up: "Permission denied"). The link presented for the case of failure of this hotfix program leads to another link which explains how to reregister msxml3.dll. It did that, registering was successful, but installing of SP2 still fails.

On one of the many support documents I've read it's said that one has to look at bkupinst.htm, but there is no such file (I searched through documents folder, windows folder and program folder).

Is there any solution to that?

Thanks in advance,
Stefano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2 REPLIES 2

Stefano_Gianfra
Level 4

Hi Craig,

thanks a lot for your efforts.

After locating and looking into BKUPINST.HTM (in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs) I realized the problem: it was talking about some msi file that was not found. I could not find this file on the system so I finally downloaded the trialware ISO image of BE 2010 R3 and extracted it. Next I downloaded service pack 2 and installed it manually (when trying to install via LiveUpdate it does not ask for the location of the source files, but when installing manually there is a corresponding dialogue). After pointing it to the extracted files of the ISO image (precisely to: \SYMANTEC\BE\WinNT\Install\BE32\Install\Media) installation went through successful.

A little irritating then was that a subsequent run of LiveUpdate found three missing items: two hotfixes (so far as expected) and AGAIN service pack 2. But I told LU to install everything and no more errors occurred. Everythings fine now.

Thanks again and regards,
Stefano