cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SP4 takes an extra 1.5 hours to terminate

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I just loaded SP4 on my backup server running 10.0 Rev 5484 on Windows 2003 server. The backup worked successfully with no errors.
But I noticed that the Job Completion Status on the job log is 1.5 hours longer than pre-SP4.
Yet the last Verify Set Summary time is only a couple of minutes apart between pre-SP4 and post-SP4.

I am wondering if there is a problem. Why it is taking an extra 1.5 hours?
26 REPLIES 26

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Antivirus service is running during the backup job?

If you are backing up remote serve, after installing SP4 have you reinstalled the remote agent?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I have reinstalled the Remote Agent on the only other server being backed up.
But I do not think this will fix it.
It is getting worse. The job log says the last verify operation completed at around 2:15 AM. Then the next line, Job Completion Status, says job ended at 7:07 AM.

Before SP4, last verify and job completion status was about the same time.

Was has SP4 changed to make the job completion to be so much longer...now about 5 hours?

I also installed SP4 on another server in a different location which only backs up that server...no remote. Verification is turned off for now. Last backup status was at 1:35 AM, yet Job Completion Status was at 5:47 AM.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I think I know the cause. I was checking Event Viewer and found that BE backup was finished and was prompting for OK on ejecting the tape. I did check to make sure Media Remove Alert was set properly for automatic YES and clear after 1 minute. I followed the steps outlined in the Veritas web site about this including the BEUtility setup...no changes were required.
Again, this only started occurring after installing SP4.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Is the issue resolved now? Did the configuration of automatic response to alerts help?

If the alerts are not being responded properly, repair the BE installation. Refer: http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
OK. I have redid the install as instructed in the link on one of my servers.
We will have to wait till Monday to get results.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AutoReply seems to be flakey at best in v10. many folks are having problems, especially with the remove media alert

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I did the BE repair installation procedure and it still does the same thing. It takes anywhere from 1 to 6 hours before it accepts the "Media Remove OK" action.
What next?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What is the error message in the event logs?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
This is the message in the Event Log. It appears about every 3 minutes from 2 to 6 hours. It varies day to day.
Backup Exec Alert: Media Remove
(Server: "WMONFP01") (Job: "Backup 0001") Please remove the media from the drive, and Respond OK.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Are you backing up on a tape or a backup to disk folder?

-- Kindly try the same backup on a backup to disk folder and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I do backup to tape at both sites. One site has verification while the other is does not verify. But the problem is the same after installing SP4. I back up about 100GB at each site.

I did a small backup to folder test of about 9 GB. This worked fine. (I do not have th room to do a full backup to disk.)

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Kindly install the latest Veritas Drivers...

-- Update the firmware of the Device..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I have a SDLT 320. I have updated the driver for it (2006 version) on one system. I will try it first and see what happens. If the same thing, I will update the firmware (more complicated and trickier). Will let you know next week after the holidays.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
The new Windows driver did not help...same thing. I checked and the firmware is up to date.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Robert,

Could you try running the SGMON with the Job to check if there is any other alert coming from the Device which needs an approval.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I ran SGMON during the backup last night. I went through the log but could not find anything obvious. Please let me know where I can send it so you can examine it in detail.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please upgrade to Backup Exec version 10d
(title) Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

(title) Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d (10.1.5629) - Device Driver Installer (20060215) - Includes Tape Driver Release (09) and Robotic Library Release (52) (Intel Only)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281696

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
This will take some time to download and then install. I will get back to you by next week.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I installed 10.d yesterday on one of the servers.
Still the same thing...took about 4 hours after completing backup before it would respond "OK".