cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL 2012 in Backup Exec 2010 R3 - Is it possible even if unsupported?

TheMind
Level 3

I understand that SQL 2012 is not supported in Backup Exec 2010 R3 (which I completely disagree with the philosophy on this one, because as we all know, many companies are hanging onto 2010 R3 due to all the issues with BE2012, not to mention the fact that SQL 2012 was released early in 2012).  However, often times things aren't "supported" yet they actually still function.

This is one of those times where I'm trying to figure out if I can get it to still function, even though it's "unsupported".  I have all the appropriate permissions and configurations in place, and the RAWS agent on the VM where I have SQL 2012 installed, but when I go into BE2010R3 to try a new backup job on this remote VM, it does not recognize that SQL is installed apparently, because SQL is not an option in the Selection List.

My question is, for SQL 2012, are there different registry keys that Backup Exec uses to detect SQL and enumerate the listings for in the Selection List?  If it's not registry keys, what is it that Backup Exec is not detecting in order to make the SQL 2012 instance show up in the Selection List?  I'm only testing with SQL 2012 right now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As long as it is not supported, Symantec will not help you with this.

For the time being, I would recommend to create backup jobs within SQL server, and create a backup of these files with Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As long as it is not supported, Symantec will not help you with this.

For the time being, I would recommend to create backup jobs within SQL server, and create a backup of these files with Backup Exec.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you use an unsupported product, it means that that product has not been thoroughly tested to ensure that everything is o.k. when you either back it up or restore it.  You might be able to backup SQL 2012 but there is no guarantee that the backup can be restored properly everytime.

The time delay in supporting a product is often due to the testing of the product.  Support for SQL 2012 will be provided for the next release of both BE 2010 and BE 2012.  This was announced in the Vision conference last week.  A formal announcement will be made sometime in Dec.