cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Backup - Doesn't backup Databases, but no errors...

Richard_Devine
Level 3
Hi
I've installed the SQL agent on the Backupexec server, and the CAL on the remote SQL server. I've installed the SQL Management Tools and the Client Connectivity onto the backup exec server. I've tested the logon to SQL by accessing the remote SQL server from the BackupExec server and running a query sucessfully.
The backup runs and reports success, but the .mdf's and .ldf's don't backup, resulting in a backup of a few Kbs rather than 100mb which the SQL database should be.

Can anyone offer any advice or tips please?

Cheers
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you go to the Media server, and drill down to the machine running SQL, do you see a separate icon for SQL?

If so and if you click on the icon, do the Databases display on the right pane?

If so, have you selected all appropriate databases for backup (on the right pane)

Richard_Devine
Level 3
Hi Ken.
Yes, I have the database files (database and log files) selected from the object servers SQL installation path.

Grateful for any thoughts....

Cheers

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No errors in the job log?

If you log onto the media server as the BackupExec service account, can you still select the SQL databases in the Backup Selections pane?

Richard_Devine
Level 3
Ken, many thanks for your help.
I've now resolved this issue thanks..

Regards.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you don't mind sharing, what was the solution?

Level 2
I think I may be experiencing a similar problem. I have a windows
2000 advanced server running SQL on the server. I have
installed BE for Windows v.10 on the same server, which has
a TBU installed. It appeared all was backing up, with some file
errors., but the backup was around 20 Gig worth of data. I have
since installed the SQL agent, and now my backups are only about
200 meg? It appears as though I have all selected, but suspect
I am missing something. I'm not sure I followed how to ensure
all database files are selected? Any help would be greatly
appreciated

Garry

Richard_Devine
Level 3
Hi.

The mistake I made was to only read the manual!!

Initially I'd manually selected the .mdf & .ldf files from the MSSQL data path for selection for backup.
The SQL server agent had been installed on the BE server.
This reported no errors, but only bytes of data had been backed up. (it's a new database with only about 90mb).

Solution... install client connectivity and management tools onto the BE server, from the MSSQL 2000 disk. As I understand it there are no licensing issues with just installing these two components.

These two components installed, I should then be able to browse my remote server, and see an SQL server attached to it. This was not visible initially.
Co-incidentally the BE server was rebooted.... this may have had an impact, but the next day I was able to browse to the remote server... an SQL server box was attached, and drilling down you can see the databases (presented in similar format to Ent. Manager. Select databases, tested, full backup. I've yet to test the restore, but the fact I'm backing up the correct amount of data gives me a lot of hope....

My major gripe with this is the poor documentation within the 9.1 manual, the lack of consistant documentation on-line (referencing SQL 7, etc), talking about intstalling SQL agent on the remote server (I don't think this can be done).

Anyway, sorry to ramble, hope this helps.

Cheers

Level 2
Thank Rich,

If my SQL Server and the BE server are one and the same, and I
select ALL media on the SQL/BE box to be backed up. Should it
not back all of the files on the box up? It only QUIT backing
everything up AFTER I installed the SQL agent!
If the SQL and BE box are one in the same, do I still need to load
any of the remote services?

I will confirm which files I have selected for backup!

Thanks Again!

Garry