cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Daily Incremental Log backup failed

Borealis
Level 4

Hello everyone.

I have problems when I try to backup SQL servers.

Following the http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74429, I have created backup jobs for each one of these servers. The first one is running weekly and perform a full backup of system and non-system SQL databases and the second runs daily and performs transaction logs backup.

Full backups are completed successfully but incremental logs are succesfull too but only for 3 or 4 or 5 days and then failed with the following message:

Final error: 0xe0000363 - The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup. Final error category: Resource Errors

followed by the following errors

Backup- SERVER\MSSQLSERVER
V-79-57344-867 - The last Full backup of database CMS was not made by this application. Run a new Fu...

V-79-57344-867 - The last Full backup of database CMSAUDIT was not made by this application. Run a n...

V-79-57344-867 - The last Full backup of database EPABO was not made by this application. Run a new ...

V-79-57344-867 - The last Full backup of database ReportServer was not made by this application. Run...

V-79-57344-867 - The last Full backup of database ReportServerTempDB was not made by this applicatio...

If I run manually a full backup everything returns to normal until the next error occurence

I know very well (double checked) that no other backup jobs are running on these servers (no native or third party SQL backup) and further more I even had to disable the sql agent service just to make sure it will not be triggered by something hidden but the problem is still there. I don't know what else to try so any help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

These regular SQL backups are what you are attempting to do when you hit your problems.  What the document is trying to say is that when you do your full and log backups, there should not be a VM backup between them.  So if you run a full SQL database backup and then immediately followed by a log backup, you would not get the error message in your original post.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you get the error, use the procedure in this document to see which application did the last backup.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58674

Are these databases in a VM and you are doing VM backups?  If so, see this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137587

Borealis
Level 4

Hi pkh and thx for your prompt reply.

Please, accept my apologies because I forgot to mention that I have already tried the query (TECH58674), and I found that the LSN chain always is interrupted by an unknown (NULL) backup requestor. After that, I started to check all SQL servers about "ghost" backup software (incl. SQL native agent jobs) but I never found anything.

Also, I have seen TECH137587 but because the backup server we use is a BE2012 SP1 and the reported environment into this TECH is BE2010-2010 R2, I thought, that this couldn't be our case. Yes, we have many SQL databases in VMs and in metals as well and I'm getting the error in both cases.

Nevertheless, I will give a try of the suggested solution of that TECH and I will report back my findings.

Once again thx a lot for your help

Borealis
Level 4

Hello everyone,

After a long nasty winter flu I return.

During my illness I try several things but nothing has change. The situation is the same, SQL Weekly Full Backup no problems, Daily log incremental fails but the failure occurence varies. Some times after 3 or 4 days but yesterday afternoon and after I made a succesfull manual full backup of an SQL database the daily log backup which was scheduled to run after some hours produced (again) the following error

ServerName-Daily -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

I don't know what is really causing the problem and I run out of ideas and I'm very tired of this situation.

Anyone, please help!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up the VMs (on which the SQL databases are installed) using the Backup Exec VMware agent ? If yes, does the schedule conflict with the SQL backups made by the SQL agent ?

Have you confirmed even SQL maintenance plans are not configured to backup SQL ?

Borealis
Level 4

Hi VJware,

First of all I have to tell you that I'm a novice Symatec Backup Exec Admin so excuse me if I can't understand your question(s).

Currently, we backup VMs with 2 jobs. The first one is for SQL and we use licensed agents for databases and applications and the other one Job runs within vcenter (monthly and every 2 weeks) to backup the VMs (as VMs).

SQL backup jobs failed with the same error despite if we backup SQL which resides on a VM or Physical Server.

Thank you in advance for your help

Borealis
Level 4

I read TECH137587 again and I will try to follow the workaround regarding the VM-SQL backups. One thing that I still cannot understand is " ...run standard SQL Agent Full and Log backup through the remote agent installed inside the VM."

When I login to the VM I can see the Symantec Backup Exec Agent. If I open it there're some tabs about the active configuration of the agent (connect to media server, oracle, etc). Does the workaround refers to the agent configuration settings or to the native SQL agent (the known one inside Management Studio)? If it refers to the agent configuration how can I run Full and Log backup through the remote agent?

Any help is much appreciated

pkh
   VIP    Certified

These regular SQL backups are what you are attempting to do when you hit your problems.  What the document is trying to say is that when you do your full and log backups, there should not be a VM backup between them.  So if you run a full SQL database backup and then immediately followed by a log backup, you would not get the error message in your original post.

Borealis
Level 4

Thx pkh,

I think now I have the big picture. I never thought that VM jobs (once they get backed up as VMDKs) if they interpolate between a SQL full backup Job and a SQL Daily Log Incremental backup job, could affect this way the continuity of a SQL backup.

Since this is the case, I should either stop the vcenter VM jobs and add the VM resources separately (drives, files, system state, etc) to SQL jobs, OR reduce either the frequency of VM jobs (i.e. from Monthly and biWeekly that are scheduled to run), to run only on a monthly basis. At least that way I will have less frequent failures that can be overcome with a more proper planning  of the days-hours jobs are running.

Am I correct?

Thank you pkh for your help and support yes

pkh
   VIP    Certified

add the VM resources separately (drives, files, system state, etc) to SQL jobs

You should not do this because you need AOFO off when you backup SQL databases.  You should just do your normal VM backups, but make sure that they do not come between your SQL full and log backups.