cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Database Redirection

Paul_Crane
Level 3
Is there a good link for how to perform this properly? Steps to do this..... I am trying to restore a SQL database from serverA on tape to serverB and when I run the job, the error I get is that is can't connect to serverA. ServerA is not a live PC on the network anymore and I just want to take the database from tape and restore to serverB through redirection.

It seems like it is not redirecting to serverB even though I am putting it in the SQL redirection section.
8 REPLIES 8

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

which database are you currently trying to restore, is it system database or user database?

Try creating a blank database on the other server and then try restoring.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Crane
Level 3
They are 2 user created databases and I get the following when I try to restore:

e000fe29- Authentication Failed on connection to the server. Make sure the user account has the appropriate permissions...... V-79-5344-65065

Then in the Job Log I see the following error...Unable to connect to Server A, the machine could not be found on the network.

This ServerA is not a live PC on the network, it just 2 databases that we have on a tape and want to t restore to ServerB which is a live PC on the network. The error to me looks like it is trying to restore to Server A??????

PS I tried creating the 2 databases on the SQL server but I still got this same error.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Is the SQL version same on both servers?

How many instances are there on the target SQL server?

If you are trying to restore to a named instance, then mention the name of the instance in the "redirected" tab.

Make sure that the Backup Exec has rights to the original and target SQL installation as per:

How to verify that the Backup Exec Service Account has proper rights to backup a desired SQL Server database.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/234733

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Crane
Level 3
SQL versions are the same....Backup Exec versions are different. Backup on version 9.1 and restore with version 10d. The account does have permission to restore to SQL server...I have restored several other DB's to this same server, but I need 2 DB's that need to be redirected from a tape from an old server that does not exist anymore, to the existing SQL server.

I want to take, ex. stars database from Server B on a tape and restore it to Server A. When I try this I get the errors I described above.....we are really stumped why this is not working, and we are at a standstill with our databases and need help fast.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please verify from the technote that you have correctly configured the job:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/251560

Please verify that account used to restore has the neccessary rights

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231654

Thanks,

Paul_Crane
Level 3
Well we figured out that there is an actual bug in the Backup Exec software and because the server that the original backup does no longer exist on our exisiting network it would fail. So we added a DNS record to fool the BE software and once this was done we could restore to the new SQL server.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update.

As the issue is resolved please let us know whether we can go ahead and archive the case.

Regards,

Paul_Crane
Level 3
Yes it is resolved but I think this needs to be addressed, I have been reading other people with the same issue.... it is a bug in the BE software.