cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Database restore log file path

Jirka
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have problem with restore database to MSSQL 2008 R2 to original instance and database. Restore job fail because BE restore LDF file to root of drive where is original log file path instead of original path. In the original path make LDF file same name but 0 byte size. SQL server then write this event to ERRORLOG:
spid53      Starting up database 'ContentDB'.
Backup      Error: 3283, Severity: 16, State: 1.
Backup      The file "ContentDB_log" failed to initialize correctly. Examine the error logs for more details

When I use option restore to redirect instance and specify the original instance and path the restore is successful. But I can’t specify different path for MDF and LDF file.

I use Backup Exec 2012 SP1

Jirka

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is not possible to specify a different path for the log during a restore. You can use SQL Studio to move the log to a different location after the restore

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It is not possible to specify a different path for the log during a restore. You can use SQL Studio to move the log to a different location after the restore

Jirka
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yes it is possible but very uncomfortable. Customer needs restore about 40 databases and about 400 GB. If he musts first restore all MDF and LDF file to the database disk and then move all LDF files to logfile disk the restore time is longer. I would like to know if it is a bag in BE or bag in SQL because customer don´t accept this reason.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Well, he will just have to accept it because as I said before, there is no way to specify a separate path for the logs when you do a restore in BE.

You can log a support case with Symantec, maybe tech support knows a way which I am not aware of.