cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Redirection - Restore existing database to new database in same instance

Katiesue
Level 2
I am trying to restore an existing sql database on server A in an instance X to a new database on the same server A in the same instance X but to a new database.

If I select SQL Redirection do I need to enter the server name and instance or because I am restoring to the same server or is that not necessary?

I have created a new database within the instance X that I want to restore to.  The mdf files are currently in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SDS, both the existing and new database files are here.

I want to restore the existing database over my newly created database making sure the exisiting database remains intact.   I am unsure which of the Destination Options I should use, whether to select 'Use Path' and if so do I enter the path exactly as above or do I have to type the name of the .mdf file?

Would I then select from the Settings in Microsoft SQL option to Overwrite exisiting database?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
This document should walk you through restoring SQL databases.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295642.htm

Katiesue
Level 2

Thanks. 

I am still unsure which of the destination options to use.  The files .mdf for both the new and existing database are both in the C:\program files\.etc.. folder, will it automatically restore over the new test database.mdf files rather than overwriting the existing one that I want to leave alone or do I need to manually enter a path?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
If you specify the name of database that is already there in the job options or the database is already on the SQL server then it will overwrite the files.  If you do not want to overwrite the files then specify a new name for the database in the job, this way when the job runs SQL will create a new database (and files) so that nothing gets overwritten.