cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Restoration with redirection Problem

Yan_Thung_Seng
Level 4
Hi all,
It seems like a very good forum that allow of infomation and experience sharing. I like it.
We have done a daily full backup on our SQL 2k server DB and tran log. We are now in the process of doing a trial Run DR trial run on the critical server.

Steps as follow
MasterDB
1. setup new server with os and DB installed (same os, version and sp) ( same config of logical storage c:\ and d:\)
2. BE restoration of Master Db with the following obtion
SQL Redirection - Reidirect SQL server sets to testsrv
- use alternate drive c:\ only when original drive doesn't exist
MS SQL - Leave the DB ready to use no additoinal tran log ....
- automate Master DB restoration
The MasterDB restoration work beautifully

DB
1. Selection - select last night full backup from media.
2. SQL Redirection - Reidirect SQL server sets to testsrv
- use alternate drive c:\ only when original drive doesn't exist
MS SQL - Leave the DB ready to use no additoinal tran log .... (default)
3. click Check selection. It tells me latest copy available do you want to restore the latest? Select yes

DB successfuly restored to test server however it shows job fail with the following error

Job ended: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 at 10:09:49 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33899

Restore- TESTSRV2 Unable to attach to NSLPDCDB1.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Note: Click 'Edit Selection List...' to display the View Selection Details tab of the job's selection list. Select the entry with the server that no longer exists and click Delete to remove it.Edit Selection List...
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

The strange part is it is suppose to be restoration to alternative server why
1. it says backup error?
2. it need to access original SQL server?

How to remedy this problem?

thanks a lot
7 REPLIES 7

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It's definitely odd that the job log shows an error during backup when the operation was a restore.

The UMI code you referenced, V-79-57344-33899, maps to the following error.
The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

So, based on that I'm going to say that something occurred that caused the remote agent service to stop. I'm going to take a stab and guess that when the Job Engine service detected that it was no longer able to connect to the remote agent service it handled the condition with an error that is inaccurate.

Yan_Thung_Seng
Level 4
yes. The error is incorrect as the remote agent at the original DB server is actually working and continuing backing up by BE.

Also My question is aslo :why is the BE cotacting original server as the restoration was configured to be redirected to test DB server?

I need the explaination to conclude my restoration test with requires by our auditor.

still seeking for help.

thanks

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Are the remote agents on each server using exactly the same service account? Does the service account have full access to the databases on each server?

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Yan,

Which is the original server and which is the test DB server?

Did you look to see if the BE Job Engine service on the BE Media Server had stopped?

Did you look to see if the BE Remote Agent service on the remote "test" DB server had stopped?

Yan_Thung_Seng
Level 4
Hi

Test server that we redirecting our SQL DB to is TESTSRV2.

The original server where the SQL DB is runing is NSLPDCDB1

We did see the remote agent services at NSLPDCDB2 is not alive. And it cause the problem. So restart the service it seems ok now. (thanks)

However, my doubt is still, this suppose to be redirected DB restoration that involve tape, media server and target server (testsrv2). Why is the process cotacting original server (NSLPDCDB1) with backup error?

We have a concern that during the process, it goes to original server for abmenment or something. or what is it doing actually?

thanks a lot

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I find that to be of a concern as well. I will look into it and reply to this post.

perry_baker
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Yan,

I did some research and found the following technote:

Document ID: 285526
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285526.htm
SQL restore operation fails with the error: "Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again."

The technote is for something that occurred in BE 10d but should be resolved in BE 11d.

The error text is different but the result is the same in which the source SQL server is referenced as well, during a redirected restore operation.

Review the technote but in any case it looks like you should open a support case.