cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Restore to different server

jwc1972
Level 5
Hello

I trying to restore a sql database to another server to test. I now get an error saying The selected database appears to have been backup up from a newer version of sql backup backups from a newer version sql server cannot be restored to older sql server. What can i do
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Well, this makes difference to SQL. Apply SP3 to test server and then perform the restore, you should be good. Please consult Microsoft documents for more information on this. It is Microsoft SQL who blocks restores from different versions/service packs of SQL server.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Which version were you using, and which version are you trying to restore too?
If using SQL 2005 for example, you cannot open it on an SQL 2000 server...it's not backwards compatible unfortunately. You'd have to upgrade that version in your test environment.

Laters!

jwc1972
Level 5
Cheers

I can i restore this to sql express edition?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If the version you want to restore from is newer (ie. SQL Express 2005) than the version you're trying to restore too (ie. SQL 2000/SQL Express 2000), it won't work as they're not backwards compatible.
Furthermore, as far as I am aware, I don't think you can restore a full SQL 2005 DB to SQL 2005 Express...

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Ensure that both source and target have same service pack level before restore. If service packs dont match, it wont restore, but different editions should not be an issue.

Thanks

jwc1972
Level 5

Ok do you mean the Windows server or the Sql 2005 Server? This is on a win r2 machine running enterprize edition

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                                                                                                                                                                                      9.00.4035.00
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                                 2005.090.4035.00
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                         2000.086.3959.00 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)
Microsoft MSXML                                                                            2.6 3.0 4.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                                                        8.0.6001.18702
Microsoft .NET Framework                                                          2.0.50727.3603
Operating System                                                                            5.2.3790

This is the server i'm trying to restore the database to its a  win server service pack 2 Is arc server backup trhis hard to restore an sql database to another server?

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                                9.00.1399.00
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                                 2005.090.1399.00
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                       2000.086.3959.00 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)
Microsoft MSXML                                                                         2.6 3.0 4.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                                                        8.0.6001.18702
Microsoft .NET Framework                                                       2.0.50727.3603
Operating System                                                                       5.2.3790

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
It is the SQL server 2005, i am talking about. Go to sql management studio and "right click-> properties" on the instance. Confirm that both source and destination show same versions. If not, upgrade or downgrade the target to meet the source version.

Thanks

jwc1972
Level 5
Thanks The co-lo is on 9.0.4035 sp3 The test server is on 9.0.139rtm why should this make a difference?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Well, this makes difference to SQL. Apply SP3 to test server and then perform the restore, you should be good. Please consult Microsoft documents for more information on this. It is Microsoft SQL who blocks restores from different versions/service packs of SQL server.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks