cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Selections

Don_Juan
Level 2

Hi Guys, First timer here.

I am using backup exec 2012 with 3 servers. purchased full product license and apps and databases license.

1 has backup exec installed and the other 2 have remote agents installed.

I am backing up file structure as well as SQL databases.

Firstly should i be backing up the files for the DB's as well as the DB's themselves?

Secondly can i do a full backup of everything weekly and then exclude the SQL from the daily incremental?

I can Backup through SQL in the week as i need to due to many changes taking place.

Thanks for you time to read this and answer.

3 REPLIES 3

Marco_Tafur
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I am backing up file structure as well as SQL databases.

OK

Firstly should i be backing up the files for the DB's as well as the DB's themselves?

You may choose the best strategy. It is recommended to create jobs for each type of backup, according to the set size (how much data you will be backing up).If it is not so big, just put both in the same job.

Secondly can i do a full backup of everything weekly and then exclude the SQL from the daily incremental?

Yes. You will have to create two jobs:

-File System with full / incremental

-SQL Full only.

. It is not recommended to run two jobs simultaneously in the same server, so configure them to be done in different hours.

I can Backup through SQL in the week as i need to due to many changes taking place.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You just need to backup the SQL databases using the SQL, i.e. selecting the databases under the Microsoft SQL Instances.  Even if you do select the .mdf and .ldf files, they would be automatically excluded from the backup by AFE.

No.  You can only have one selection list for the full and incremental backup.  

You should not mix your file backup with your SQL backup because you need to turn on AOF for for your file backup to handle opened files and AOF should be off for SQL backups.  As such, you should set up 2 jobs: 1 for file backup with AOF on and 1 for SQL backup with AOF off.

It would be easier to set up a regular backup schedule using BE.

Don_Juan
Level 2

Marco/PKH

Thankyou for your responses to these questions, I have now created 2 jobs as advised By pkh.

I have turned off AOF for the SQL set, and have deslected: Process Logical Volumes for backups one at a time. and Enable checkpoint restart.

Is this correct?

I will post back here once all three are backed up and running smoothly!.

Thankyou again.