cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server 2008 R2 Support in Backup Exec 12.5

s_wileman
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 12.5 installed on a MS Windows 2003 Storage Server, along with the SQL Server Agent (and Exchange Agent).

In the backup job selections, when attempting to select an SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 instance, which is hosted on another server (Windows 2008 x64), I get the following error:

An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of Microsoft SQL Server "TFS2010".
A network connection to the server could not be established.

TFS2010 is the name of the SQL instance installed. It is configured with Windows Authentication only, and I have verified that I can connect to the instance using the windows credentials used for Backup Exec.
Other selections on the server (C:\ drive) work fine.

Is Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 supported with Backup Exec 12.5 SP3?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
8 REPLIES 8

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Nope. Only sql server 2008 is supported not R2

Checke the SCL
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/307063.pdf

anthony_paturzo
Not applicable
We are having the same exect issue as the original poster. Does Symantec have an ETA on support for SQL 2008 R2?

Thanks

-Ant

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Anthony,

Go to the Ideas section and post your query there...someone will take it up.

Laters!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
SQL 2008 R2?

or SQL 2008 on Server 2008 R2?

You could try as Craig suggested and post to the "ideas" are, but generally when Veritas/Symantec first supports a new OS the current version is RAWS only via a patch and the next version of BE supports the OS as a media server

s_wileman
Level 2
Ken -  We are talking SQL 2008 R2, not Windows Server 2008 R2.

Saz - Thanks, but that document is dated 16th March 2010, and SQL 2008 R2 wasn't released then.

I assumed that SQL 2008 R2 is currently not supported. What I really need to know is a date when it will be, and that it will be in BE12.5. If we need to update to BE2010 it will be a no go because I can't justify the cost just to back up one SQL server.

Anthony - Thanks for posting in the Ideas section. I have raised the count. Please can everyone else do the same. I am pretty desperate for this!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The latest information (subject to change) that we have on this is that BE 2010 R2 (name also subject to change) is likely to officially support SQL 2008 R2

We don't yet have a release date for BE 2010 R2 though.

s_wileman
Level 2

Colin - Thanks for the feedback. Am I correct in thinking BE12.5 will never support SQL 2008 R2?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
The way we received the information I provided in my first post indicates that it is extremely unlikely that 12.5 will ever support SQL 2008 R2