cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server 2012 BackupExec Support

peter_stephens1
Level 4

SQL Server 2012 is out on April 1st, anyone aware if BE2010 R3 will support it? Will BE2012 support it? (no mention of it on Symantec website as far as i am aware)

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I had to talk with our engineering team to get an answer for this, but here is what I found out.

Currently there is no plan to support SQL 2012 in BE 2010 R3.

It might be added to BE 2012 via hotfix, this has not been decided yet.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

BE2010 R3 may not support but BE2012 will support in near future.

Keep checking BE2012 SCL.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Amol: Do you have inside information on why BE 2010 R3 wouldn't support it, but are sure that BE 2012 WILL in future?

If not, please don't second-guess support levels for the company.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

I had to talk with our engineering team to get an answer for this, but here is what I found out.

Currently there is no plan to support SQL 2012 in BE 2010 R3.

It might be added to BE 2012 via hotfix, this has not been decided yet.

peter_stephens1
Level 4

Thanks Ben

LongTimer
Level 2

This is something that is needed in Backup Exec 2010, and should be included as soon as possible.

CraigV

...head on over to the Ideas section and add it in there:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

It is for this reason my company doesn't rely on SQL agents for backups. SQL maintenance plans give you a 100% standard "dump" of your databases, in a format that Microsoft can deal with directly if you ever have restore problems.

CraigV

...not sure what that does to contribute to the forum topic at hand...?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Apparently BE 2012 was due to support SQL 2012 on release, but late in the process Microsoft changed a deafult security setting. We are looking into the best way to Hotfix it.

In the meantime you should be able to backup SQL 2012 by opening SQL Mgmt Studio. Clicking on security->logins.    And enabling the sysadmin role for the NT authority\system account. 

Be Aware that SQL Availability Groups (a new SQL 2012 feature) will not be supported until the next full release of BE.

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

I mentioned it in case the OP gets stuck in a situation where he needs backups and can't wait for updates to flow. In that case, you can never go wrong with having a daily set of BAK files exported to a folder where you can move them to tape with the regular BE file-based backup.