cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Transaction log error

Ken_M
Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to find out how to set up transaction log backups given the following message(s) reported using BUE 2012 SQL agent for windows:

V-79-40960-37914 - Database ReportServer is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not...

I do not want to set up the backups to Simple mode as these are production servers.

How can I set up the backup to back up the transaction logs?

Thank you

Ken

6 REPLIES 6

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ken you'll need to add a stage to your backup for incremental log backups running these will truncate the sequal logs... i will edit with screen shots momentarily view best practices document below... note 4th bullet down.. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21793

Edit... View SQL log backup SN below 

Ken_M
Level 3

That'll be great Donald! Many Thanks.

Ken_M
Level 3

Donald,

Please see my comments about needing information on BUE 2012, not 2010. The options in 2012 are limited and not at all like your screen shot from BUE 2010. The link you posted is for 2010 as well, and does not seem to reflect what I am seeing in BUE 2012.

If I am missing something on it could you point me in the right direction?
Thank you

Ken

Ken_M
Level 3

Donald;

It looks like those options are for BUE 2010 only.With 2012 there are 3 options for creating a new stage- "by method"
1) Incremental=back up only the changes since the last full or incremental backup
2) Differential= back up all changes since the last full backup and
3) Full=back up all data.

Under the SQL options you have the following:

1) Physical Check only
2) None
3) Full check excluding indexes
4) Full Check including indexes
I've looked at both the single instance and the backup job defaults and this is all that is offered in BUE 2012.

Is there one of these I should be using?
Thank you

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Give me just a few minutes and ill post the shots that youre requesting 

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

if you edit your job and add a stage by method add an incremental job 

Then on the left near the bottom choose Microsoft SQL and verify that you have log backup enabled

Sorry for the confusion earlier... you posted under 12.x not 2012 so i thought that the 2010 screen shot  would be applicable  hope this is more helpful.