cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL backup vs. AOFO VSS SQL backup?

Maciej_Mrzyglod
Level 3

Hi all!

I know what is VSS - it's point in time whole volume snapshoot and it's used with AOFO.

How is the difference between SQL backup perform with and without AOFO selcted for job?

Two are running good.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
13 REPLIES 13

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should not turn on AOFO when you are backing up SQL databases.  You may encounter difficulties when you try to do a re-directed restore of the databases.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Also if you just turn on AOFO and attempt to backup the SQL files, they won't backup due to active File Exclusion - as such you should use the SQL Agent and do a specific SQL backup

Maciej_Mrzyglod
Level 3

I forgot to add that I use SQL Agent!

So, is there a difference between SQL Agent backup and SQL base files copy by AOFO?

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

When you backup by SQL agent you backup the database that is online backup

When you backup that using AOFO agent without SQL agent that is like flat file backup & in that database file will not be backuped

So best is to use SQL agent to do backup with

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As Colin said, you cannot just backup the .mdf and the .ldf files like ordinary files.  They are automatically excluded by the Automatic File Exclusion facility.

You should always backup your SQL databases using the SQL agent and make sure that you turn AOFO off in the job.

Maciej_Mrzyglod
Level 3

Yes, I know, I agree but...

It's very convenient for me to prepare one FULL backup job for all systems including SQL, Exchange and Windows System.

So, what will happen in case after I check to use AOFO and the same backup job will use SQL Agent for SQL instance backup?

Regular files will be backed up with AOFO (it's obvious)... and SQL will be backed up by SQL Agent?

If yes, should I understand that in case SQL Agent is licensed at medai server it's always used, isn't?

Colin_Weaver

If Exchange 2003 it MUST be in a separate job from AOFO (unless you want to live with very limited restore options anyway.)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...just to add to what Colin said, using AOFO with SQL doesn't allow you to redirect a restore to another SQL server...I've experienced that already.

If you want to know how you should split your job, read the article below...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Maciej_Mrzyglod
Level 3

I did it minute ago and I managed to redirect SQL database to different SQL server.

Look at the backup job report.

Guys, how would you explain tha I can use AOFO for SQL backup?

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

No need to use AOFO for SQL backup as you have got specific agent to backup SQL

Please check link for best practisces to backup SQL using SQL agent

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21793

Hope that helps

Thanks

Maciej_Mrzyglod
Level 3

Thanks a lot but I still don't understand one thing...

Is AOFO feature checked works when BE process SQL backup using SQL Agent?

In my opinion 'yes, it works' but I don't understand dependiences. When I look at tha tape content (Restore function) I can find backups like on picture enclosed.

Both of these backup were made with SQL Agent, fist one with AOFO feature checked.

Do they differ?

AmolB

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...BE will use VSS anyway to back up a server, including DBs like Exchange & SQL...and believe me when I say this, when using AOFO I couldn't redirect a SQL restore...like I couldn't clear Exchange logs. YOu might not get the same issue, but you will end up with some sort of issue.

And if it's good enough to be documented by Symantec, it's good enough to be followed!