cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL files in use not getting backed up

Ruska
Level 4
SQL files in use not getting backed up

I am looking to backup SQL files. Having selected the top directory I found that some files are not included in the backup even though it is selected to be backed up. I understand that this is due to the files being in use at the time of the backup. Stopping the SQL services allows one to copy the files however this is not a practical solution on production SQL server that is busy pretty much all the time.

On some SQL servers we have the SQL agent running and on others not. Will installing the SQL agent on such a server enable me to backup files in use via certain config or would I need “Advanced Open File Option” installed to back up SQL files currently in use?

Also, how does a SQL agent install work. When pushing  an agent too a machine the option for remote agent is available but there is no separate option for installing the SQL agent. Does the installer automatically see SQL on the box and include the SQL components. How does one separate a remote agent install from a SQL agent install. Can one move a SQL agent from one box to another leaving the remote agent in place?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You need one Sql license per server .. But even if you have just one SQL license it will allow you to backup all the SQL instances ..But you need to have a remote agent license installed , But it would not be Complaint.
So you if you want to backup 2 Sql server you would need 2 SQL license ...

Hope this answers your query

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Have look on the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/242688
http://support.veritas.com/docs/259152

Recommended to install SQL agent to perform the backup
You need to have the Sql agent installed on the media server . By default backup exe would skip the Sql files if you don not have the Sql agent license .
Advance open file option would not be able to backup the Sql file as it is hardcoded to Skip the database file .

To install Sql agent you just need to install the Sql license key on the media server   http://support.veritas.com/docs/253168
On the Sql server you just need to install the Remote AGENT FOR WINDOWS SERVER .

Hope this helps

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The ability to backup SQL Server databases is built into BE.  You unlock this capability when you enter a SQL Agent licence.  If the SQL server machine already have the remote agent, you don't have to push the agent out again.

When you have the SQL Agent, you will have a seperate section for the SQL databases and you select which database to backup there.  BE will then can the SQL Server API to back it up on the fly.  There is not special config or procedure.

Ruska
Level 4

Thanks guys that was very helpful

Another question however, how does one mange you SQL licences then. We have SQL agent enabled on the media server. If we have 10 SQL servers but only 5 SQL licenses and only require them on five servers, how does one choose where it gets enabled if backup BE simply applies it on the first 4 servers that it sees until it gets to 5 and then the next five just goes without.

Or what if I find that I no longer need it on one server and want to deploy it on another server. (Without having to remove the Remote agent as normal file backups still needs to run)

If I purchase more SQL licenses and activate it on a node, will this allow for all SQL related files to be backed up whist in use or not?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You need one Sql license per server .. But even if you have just one SQL license it will allow you to backup all the SQL instances ..But you need to have a remote agent license installed , But it would not be Complaint.
So you if you want to backup 2 Sql server you would need 2 SQL license ...

Hope this answers your query

Ruska
Level 4
That about sums it up thanks guys. My options are thus, getting more SQL lincences or backing up the entire vmdk volume using the vmware agent.