cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL incremental fails

Krishna_chandra
Level 3

The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup.

Am getting this error. I have seen many articles about this here. I need to know whether backup exec wil stop showing this only if the SQL's default backup is stopped totally? wont it work if the job are scheduled in a way that these backups doesn't coincide at the same time?

Please advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

That's right. However, the default backup cannot be run on weekend after the Full backup by BE as the next incremental backup will not refer to the Full backup by BE, but it will refer to the most recent backup which was the default backup on the weekend.

The default backup (if needed) must be run AFTER all the incrementals and BEFORE the full. In your case, the default backup must be run on Thu after all incrementals and before Friday's full.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6

As you are running SQL default backup, it is affecting the LSN causing the incremental backups by BE to fail.

You can either disable the SQL default backups or setup the backups in such a manner that they do not conflict.

For egs.

Full SQL by BE

Incr SQL by BE

Incr SQL by BE

Once all incrementals are completed and prior to the full backup by BE, you can run the SQL default backup. This will not affect as the chain of Full + Incr SQL backups by BE is not interrupted.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Unless you have a very good reason, you should just use one software to do your backup. If you must run the SQL default backup, then make sure it is run BEFORE the full BE backup and not between the BE full and incremental backups

Krishna_chandra
Level 3

Ok, let me see if i have understood what you mean.

So i have to complete one full chain of incremental and full backup without any interuption from default backup by SQL between this cycle. Right? In this case, if am scheduling a incremental backup on weekdays (Monday to Thrusday) and Full backup on Friday, i have to run the default one only in weekend right? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You can only run your SQL default backup BEFORE the Friday BE full backup

VJware
Level 6

That's right. However, the default backup cannot be run on weekend after the Full backup by BE as the next incremental backup will not refer to the Full backup by BE, but it will refer to the most recent backup which was the default backup on the weekend.

The default backup (if needed) must be run AFTER all the incrementals and BEFORE the full. In your case, the default backup must be run on Thu after all incrementals and before Friday's full.