cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL redirect restore job fails

Andrew_Soc
Level 4

hi
i'm trying to do a Sql redirect restore in a specific folder in the Backup Exec Server of one database but receive this messagge error :
V-79-65323-5105 - A file activation error occurred. The physical file name '\Dati\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\db.mdf' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation.

The physical file name of folder is correct !
i tried read this article http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/321725.htm but i dont' resolve the problem ..

thanks !!

25 REPLIES 25

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
How are you redirecting the SQL databas restoration?

Can you give me steps which you are following......

Carlos_-_Dept__
Level 3
Redirect the SQL with the SQL optcion to another dabase name.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

To redirect SQL database restoration follow the steps mentioned below
  1. Create the SQL data base instance with same name (if the sql server is different else anothe database name on the same server)
  2. Select the data backup which need to be restore from restore tab
  3. In the destination, select SQL redirection tab
  4. Check Redirect Microsoft SQL erver sets
  5. Check the server andmentioned the server name (As per the conditions mentioned in step 1)
  6. Check database and mention database name (As per the conditions mentioned in step 1)
  7. Select use this path option and mention the path of the database which you have created before restoration
  8. In settings, click on the Microsoft SQL and check Overwrite the existing database box
  9. Run the restoration job
Please find attached snapshot for your referance.
imagebrowser image

Andrew_Soc
Level 4
thanks Soman
but i don't want restore the database DB1 overwriting the existing database, but i want restore in an other location for restore some table ecc...
I've got only one database Server , can create a new database with a different name ..for example db2 and restore the db1 backup on db2 ?
Which path i must write ? The same of db1 ?

thanks!!!!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Andrew can you attach the job log to your post so I can look into it further?

mvg
Level 3
When you redirect the job on "Microsoft SQL Redirecttion" under Destination on the right pane uncheck "Database" option after on "destination options" select an alternative drive Like a D: drive and check "even whe the original drive does not exist"

Andrew_Soc
Level 4
attach the screenshot

i'm trying restore the db file in the backup server and no in the Databse server ..
imagebrowser image

imagebrowser image

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Please check by defining Server name & Database name

I think it will be required...

Please confirm

Andrew_Soc
Level 4
but if setup the Server name & database name have not sense ... if i want redirect the restore db in an another path ..
try ..

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi Andrew

The path in the snapshot is located on same SQL server or anywhere else? If somewhere then have u installed SQL on that server?

I have created the similar scenario in my lab just now and checking......

mean while update me on my query

Andrew_Soc
Level 4
hi Soman
the path in  the snapshot is located in another server ..is the Backup Exec Server withot Sql Server installed ..
My question is :
can i restore the mdf database file in this location without the sql server ?This is not clear in the documentation ...

thanks !

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
you cannot restore the mdf and ldf file without a sql server .

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
you cannot restore the mdf and ldf file without a sql server .

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You should have SQL installed on the server you are restoring the database because the backup is application aware backup.

Andrew_Soc
Level 4
ok
can i restore in same Sql Server in a new db with an another name ?

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Yes

You can restore in the same SQL server with different DB name. For that I have already given the steps above with snaps.

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Yes , that is possible

Andrew_Soc
Level 4
ok but the path can i setup must be in the Sql Server ? 
Or is not necessary because restore the db in an another db name ?

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Yes the path must be in SQL server only not on any other server. You can restore it on any drive but that shold be local to the SQL server only.

Restoring DB to another name is up to you. In one instance you can create multiple databases. So you can define that DB name during the restoration.