cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL restore - unable to redirect

Daniel_Wesolows
Level 3
I'm trying to restore a SQL database to another server with different disk layout.
The initial database name is PRD, I have to restore it as DRC.

When I select "Restore all database files to the target instance's data location",
all files are being incorrectly restored to the default drive (C:).

I'm using Backup Exec 10.1 rev. 5629 with Service Pack 1.

Thank you for any help!
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Please update on the system details ... as you have written :

"I'm trying to restore a SQL database to another server with different disk layout."

Also is SQL a remote Server ? (both the Servers )

What is the exact version of BEWS ? and OS on which BE is running ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Daniel_Wesolows
Level 3
I'm using Backup Exec 10.1 rev. 5629 with Service Pack 1 installed.
Adamm Info: Version 10.1, Build 5629

OS Info: Windows NT 5.0, Build 2195, Service Pack 4 (and all latest patches&updates)

Database Driver Info: SQLSRV32.DLL, 03.85.1117
Database Server Info: Server Name = "DR", Active Node = ""
Database Connection String: "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=DR\BkupExec;DATABASE=BEDB"

Both SQL server (SQL 2000 + SP4, English) and Backup Exec are running on the same machine.
No antivirus software installed.

The tape has been written on another server with the same software configuration as shown above, but with a slightly different disk layout. Therefore, I need to use that option, otherwise, BE tries to put whole database and log (which is 89GB in total) on the same partition.

The problem is that it looks like the flag "Restore all database files to the target instance's data location" is being completely ignored...

Many thanks
Daniel

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

As per our understanding you have , Windows 2000 SP4 on which BE 10.1 SP1 and 2 SQL Server running.. that means on 2 different drives ?

Here you are trying to perform redirect restore from data being backedup from other server !

Update us on the disk layout differnces... and any error message when redirect restore is being performed..

Further reference :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/262171

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264813

http://support.veritas.com/docs/243093

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Daniel_Wesolows
Level 3
Hi,
the disk layout on the primary (source) server:
- partition F: 170GB for SQL 2000 database files (~90GB in use)
- partition E: 33GB for SQL 2000 log files (~7GB in use).
All data is stored in single database named PRD.

The secondary (destination) server has slightly different partition layout:
- partition H: 101GB for SQL data
- partition G: 33GB for log files

My task is to restore backup of PRD to another server. Apart from SQL 2000, theres MSDE installed on both servers exclusively for Backup Exec. Database already exists on that machine and is properly configured and fully workinkg.

After selecting database files in Backup Exec on the destination server, setting up Microsoft SQL Redirection under "Destination" tab, and ticking "Restore all database files to the target instance's data location" under Microsoft SQL settings -
nothing happends, after a while I see such an error:

Restore- DR V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database DRC.
V-79-57344-33938 - There is insufficient free space on disk volume 'C:\' to create the database. The database requires 93265657856 additional free bytes, while only 561319936 bytes are available.

It looks like the flag is ignored and Backup Exec tries to restore files to the C: drive.

Daniel_Wesolows
Level 3
> Database already exists on that machine and is properly configured and fully workinkg.

I should add, the database name on the second server is DRC and is configured to use disk layout that exists on that machine (drives H: for data and G: for log files).

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Run the sgmon before running the restore job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.