cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL server backup ejects tape part-way through job and 'No media'/ ?

BobMc
Level 3

Hi everyone,

Im looking for a little help please?

We run a tape backup every night to LTO 5 tapes using Backup Exec 2012. It has 4 jobs and the final one is to back-up our SQL server.

On Wednesday the final SQL job ejected the tape part way into the job (159GBs in) and instead of showing the media title in the Storage section, showed a question mark.

I rebooted the server and restarted all the BUE services and the storage then showed 'No Media'. Restarting the services fixed this and it showed the media title again.

Last night the exact same thing happened - The SQL job ejected the tape at 159GB and shows a question mark in storage - Any ideas?

Im thinking that as both jobs ejected the tape at 159GB that maybe a file on the SQL server is locked? (we have a SQL dev in making changes on the server which I have no control of).

Also, is there any reason why the tape is ejecting?

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Check the compression on that tape...if it is 1:1, then you're able to fit 1.6TB onto the tape...anything less, and you're either running out of space on the tape, or data is being inflated.

Also check and see if there are any hardware errors on the tape itself (Hard Write Errors).

Thanks!

BobMc
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for youe message.

The tape definitely isnt ejecting as its filled as theres a good 30GB free.

I have just had another look at this and actually the job is only around 159GB anyway, so it looks like the job completed, but then doesnt actually finish it, but ejects the tape and still shows active?

Also, if I eject a tape and put a new one in, BUE doesnt recognise it until I restart the services?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You have to acknwoledge the eject tape alert before the job will finish, the question matrk is an indication that you need to take action.

Also if you change tapes in a stand alone drive you have to run an inventory job for BE to know what tape is inserted as BE wil not autodetect a tape change (I am gussing someone has enabeld the run inventory on restart option on yorur server (which is not a default)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For stand-alone tape drive, of the job needs another tape you cannot do an inventory on the second tape. All you need to do is to put in the second tape and acknowledge the media insert alert and the job will use the inserted tape

BobMc
Level 3

Thanks for the replies guys.

The issue WAS that the tape was full.

The problem I have now however is that BUE does not know when a new tape is inserted, however it definitely did before I had any issues because the tape name use to change from say LTO0000029 to a different end number depending on what tape it was?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...a stand-alone tape drive would see an appendable/scratch tape. A tape library/autoloader won't if you just put the tape in. It would need to have an Import job configured which will let it recognise an appropriate tape.

Thanks!