cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule logic

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
I have a lot of jobs to run in 1 night, so I thought I'd schedule the first job at 18:00 and the subsequent jobs each 1 minute later, in my preferred order.
Any jobs that start before the previous job is finished, will queue and start as soon as the previous job is finished.

Sounds logical Mr. Spock, but it does not work.

Jobs that are queued seem to lose there order of preference, BE forgets all about the scheduled time as soon as the job is queued. Job B that's scheduled to start 5 minutes later than job A will start before job A. I can't figure out the logic behind the order of starting jobs when more than one of them is queued.

Is there a way to get this to work?

I do not consider timing jobs duration and scheduling accordingly an option since backup times vary every night. Also starting jobs from the commandline after the previous job has finished is considered a lot of administration for something that seems so simple, stick to the scheduled start time that's been assigned to the job.

thanks for any input,
Peter
17 REPLIES 17

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
> Any jobs that start before the previous job is
> finished, will queue and start as soon as the
> previous job is finished.
That was the behaviour of BE 8.5 don't ask me why they've changed this in 9.1

BE9.1 scheduling works with time-windows. If multiple jobs are configured with the same time window, all off them wil start when that time window is reached. To prevent this you will need to differ the start of the time window of each job. (Don't know if 1 minute is enough do)

Regards
A van der Boom

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
Thanks, that's what I thought.

I have a narrow backup window during the night so to have all jobs finished in the morning I need BE to use the drive as efficiently as possible, which means queue jobs so there's no wasted time on an empty drive.

If I have to administer the backup windows of each job so the won't overlap it'll be a never ending story since data volumes tend to change.

Anyone from Symantec with ideas ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can use BEMCMD in a post job to release the next job in line when the current job finishes

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277250.htm

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
Thanks Ken, I know but I was hoping to avoid any extra BE administration.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Did the Document provided by Ken help you ?

- Could you update on the issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
Well no, I wouldn't consider that a solution.

I still don't understand why BE can't use the scheduled start time as an order of preference for which job in the queue goes first, it seems completely random now, alphabetically maybe ?

Can you elaborate since Symantec did not care to reply to this issue until now.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
You could try the priority option and see if that helps in your situation. Sounds like your backingup straight to the tapedrive, BE can't access the tapedrive more than one job at the time, as far as I am concerned if the tapedrive is in use a job should wait for it to be available. Don't know if this is the case though. You could condense your jobs into a few bigger jobs.

Regards
A van der Boom

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
Thanks for the reply, already tried that but the priority does not have effect on the start sequence once the jobs are in the queue. \

I am backing up to an autoloader with 1 tapedrive and the jobs are waiting until the drive becomes available, no problems there, it's the order in which they're processed that bothers me.

I don't like making large backup jobs cause when things go wrong on the first part of the job (service crash for example which still happens now and then with BE, it's not that stable a system) I'm losing the rest of the job, meaning no backup that night, not an option.

Hell, I don't like work arounds anyhow, it would be great if someone from Symantec could comment on this, it's not like I'm asking the world here.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the late Response.
Could you Update us on the latest State of the Problem?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
No problem, I know by now the 2-business-day rule does not seem to apply to Symantec personnel, only customers. Nice of you to pop-in after almost a year.

Latest State of the Problem is unchanged, suggest you read the thread.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please tell us how much time gap have you set between the two jobs?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
2 minutes

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Instead of scheduling the jobs after a minute please check the time the backup usually takes and try scheduling the second one after the first completes and verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
Right, since the amount of data to be backed up is dynamic I should check this every day and adapt the start times accordingly on all my jobs. Nonsens.

I don't understand why BE cannot take into account the defined job start time when it's working through queued jobs. It already has the information as defined by the administrator, it just has to look at it.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Have you targeted all the jobs on the Tape?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Peter_van_Leeuw
Level 4
I'm sorry, I''ve read your line 5 times but I don't understand what you mean by "having targeted all jobs on tape".

P.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

In Backup Exec in backup job properties if you click on the .

device and media option and verify if all the jobs are targetted to the tape device

Please verify and update as on the same.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.