cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled Backup not running

Nick_Morgan1
Level 3

Hi all, I really hope I'm not reposting here, but I'm having a strange issue with Backup Exec 2010 R3 (fully updated at time of this post).

I am backing up files on my local machine (Small Business Server 2011 Standard) to tape, and the backup runs fine if I start it manually, but if it runs as scheduled it will not back anything up and time out.

I have changed credentials on the backup, recreated the backup job from scratch, nothing has worked.

I have run HP TapeTools on the drive, and it is fine, and all the tapes are in excellent condition.

Anybody else come across this issue?

Cheers, Nick

5 REPLIES 5

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

When you scheduled backup not running ,job are in which state at the time of schedule loading media , any pending or unrepsonded alerts in Alerts category.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried scheduling a back up to disk?

Also, try scheduling a backup to tape at the time which you can observe what is happening to the job.  This way you can trouble-shoot the problem.

Nick_Morgan1
Level 3

OK, bit of an update. I re-scheduled the backup to run earlier this afternoon, watched it run, and it completed successfully.

When the backup fails, the only error it throws into the 'Alerts' tab is as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

| The job was automatically canceled because it  |
| exceeded the job's maximum configured            |
| run time.                                                         |
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will let it run again tonight, observe what happens, and update this thread again tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Nick.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the job properties, under Priority and Availability, check the Available Window setting.  It should be unchecked if you don't want any limit.

Nick_Morgan1
Level 3

Just a bit of an update.

My backup failed last night because the tape was write protected...
This was my fault, as I ran the backup manually, and just left the same tape in the drive...

So, it will run again tonight, and hopefully I'll get a better result.

Cheers, Nick