cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled backup fails after restore

Tscharner_Upjoh
Level 3
After I perform a restore, the nightly scheduled backup will fail. It is scheduled to start 11:30 at night and when I come in the next morning it is still running the process, with no progress. The only way to get the backup to work is to restart the server.

One thing I tried was stopping and restarting backup exec services, but this had no effect.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
A known bug. there was a HotFix that was rolled into SP1 and all subsequent SPs

Grab SP4a here

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280008.htm

Tscharner_Upjoh
Level 3
Thank you for your response. Yesterday I installed the hotfix and believed it worked. The only indication I can find is that the Rev. is 4691 now. I restarted the server this morning as per the instructions of the hotfix, then ran a restore and then ran a test run of the nightly backup, which failed. Below is the log from that failed attempt. It appears to happen on the media capacity check, but there isn't any indication of how much space is required. Have I installed the hotfix incorrectly or is there something else going on? Thank you.

Server name : SERVERJob name : TestRun 0008Job log : C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX00462.xmlDevice name :

Test Run Job Information
Credentials CheckDevice : \\SERVER, E:Check status : SuccessDevice : \\SERVER, \\SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage GroupCheck status : SuccessDevice : \\SERVER, C:Check status : SuccessDevice : \\SERVER, \\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Public FoldersCheck status : SuccessDevice : \\SERVER, \\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange MailboxesCheck status : Success

Media Capacity CheckDevice : SONY 2Online append capacity : 0.000 MBOnline overwrite capacity: 34,049 MBTotal append capacity : 84,141 MBTotal overwrite capacity : 340,495 MBCapacity check status : FailedMiscellaneous :

Media CheckOnline media check : Media is online or nearline to start job.Overwrite media check: There is media online or nearline that can be overwritten.Media check status : Success

Backup job name : Daily Backup Test run status : Fail Media protection: Overwrite Target device : All Drives (SERVER) Target media : ICC Media Total byte count: 53,908,045,824

Job Completion Status
Job started : Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:43:40 AMJob ended : Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:57:37 AMFinal error: 0xa0008703 - Job failed running its test run. See logfile for details.
Final error category: Job ErrorsCompleted status: Failed

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Never heard of this

You can try an uninstall/reinstall with 4691.1 and SP4a

see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260054.htm to save all you local info.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.