Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling duplicate-to-tape jobs and

Grayc
Level 4
Certified

Hi!  I have a question:

When scheduling a duplicate-to-tape job, which differential backup set does it duplicate?  The most recent one? 

I have a number of backup jobs that are set up as D2D2T.  Full-level jobs are run monthly and differentials are run daily until the next Full-level jobs run.  Since the daily differentials are cummulative, I only want to duplicate-to-tape once a week.  If I schedule the duplicate-to-tape for Saturday, 2:00 am, does it grab the only the latest differential backup set that was created Friday at 6:00 pm?

My duplicate-to-tape job template schedule is set as follows:

Checked "According to Schedule".  Source is "Differential" > "Selected Backups" > checked "DIFFERENTIAL"

I am using Backup Exec 15 in a  Windows 2012 R2 environment. (NOTE:  The Operating System drop-down-list did have "Windows 2012" listed)

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
It will grab the latest DIFF job. Why not append them on a daily basis to the same tape?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec has  a duplicate last full setting BUT no duplicate last diff (or inc) setting

As such, if you cannot use the duplicate last full setting (irrespetive of whether you are duplicating fulls, incrementals or differentials) what actually happens is that the duplicate job will try to duplicate every original backup stage that the duplicate is linked with that has not already been duplicated by an earlier instance of the same duplicate job

If you want to only duplicate the Friday differential you could make two differential stages in the job definition

1 stage would be just running the differential every Friday

the other stage would be run a differential every weekday except the Friday and you then link the duplicate job with only the stage that runs on the Friday