cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scratch Media is marked not appendable?

Level 3
When I set up backup jobs for the week I erase the media, which puts it in the scratch media. That seemed the way to do it because when a job needs another tape it just pulls it out of the scratch media and puts it into what ever media set that the backup is using. The problem though, is that after a couple of days the tapes in the scratch media are marked "not appendable". That, obviously, is a problem.

Thanks in advance...
5 REPLIES 5

Level 3
So, I did I little more clickin' around trying to find some sort of global setting for all media or something. I found that in the properties for the scratch media: "Scratch media has no append period. When used, scratch media is always overwritten."

I have the diff jobs setup during the week to: "Append to media,
terminate if no appendable media is available"

Level 3
After a little thought, having scratch media with no overwrite protection and not appendable makes some sense. When the tapes are exchanged in the tape library you could just inventory and then move them to the scratch media. Saving the step of having to erase. The problem with that is the problem that I have trying to setup append jobs.

I use "append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available" because I want it to add the erased tapes when needed.

Level 3
I guess I'll answer my own question. My paradigm for using BE is wrong. It looks like I need to revisit my backup strategies.

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
The media present in the Scratch Media pool is only overwritable and not appendable. Hence, if you have configured the job to aapend to the media, terminate if no appendable media is found the job will error out as no appendable media is present.

You will have to run the job with option to "Append to media. overwrite if no appendable media is found"

Reference:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Assuming the solution provided is correct. Also, there is no response from the customer within 2 days from the last reply by Veritas