cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) fails to install

jaspain
Level 3
Microsoft released Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (KB970892) on October patch Tuesday. It fails to install on the SQL Express 2005 SP3 x64 BKUPEXEC instances on two of my my BEWS 12.5 SP2 media servers, as well as on a couple of other servers running SQL Express 2005 SP3 with other products, e.g. VMware vCenter Server, HP Digital Sending Software 4.0. Various forum posts found by Google suggest that having any of the SQL Server services disabled may cause this problem. In my case, the only disabled service is SQL Server Active Directory Helper. This service can be set to manual, but it will not start, and just setting it to manual doesn't solve the problem. These posts also suggest that having the SQL Server program folder compressed can cause the error, but this is not applicable to my situation.

I took a look at the Windows Update log and other than an error message with the return code 0x0000737d, I didn't see any useful information. I also looked at the hotfix installation log at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB970892_sqlrun_sql.msp.log, and found the error message: "Error 29565. SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance HPDSDB and complete the setup."

The description of this security update at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892, in the More Information section, lists four TechNet articles with troubleshooting procedures for known issues. Article 955250 seems like it may be applicable, although the error message doesn't match. I'm still trying to work through this.

The security update is available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0d878f4b-71e8-4170-9a14-1bce684811ce&displa... for anybody who does not wish to rely on Windows Update.

Thanks for any additional thoughts that anyone may have.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jaspain
Level 3

First of all, Microsoft has clarified its support policy, and SQL Express 2005 is supported in our virtual environment on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64 guest and VMware vSphere host. Microsoft has a helpful reference as to exactly which virtualized environments they will support. See the Server Virtualization Validation Program wizard at http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx?svvppage=svvpwizard.htm.

In this case Microsoft made the following recommendation, which did successfully resolve the issue. To summarize the problem, the security update KB970892 failed to install because the original installation of SQL Express 2005 SP3 did not run to a final completion, even though there was no indication of any problem during the original installation process.

The fix is as follows:

• Open the Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) control panel.
  • Select Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and click Change.
  • Select the database engine component.
  • Allow the system configuration check to complete.
  • Then choose Complete the suspended installation.
  • You may get the error message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "SqlRun_SQL.msi" in the box below." This means that the installer needs access to the original installation files.
  • Installation will continue, but you may encounter an additional error "[(Microsoft] [SQL Native Client [SQL Server] Password Validation failed. The password does not meet the Windows policy requirements because it is too short.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again."
    • To correct this problem, open the Registry Editor.
    • Locate the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\Parameters. Note that it may be MSSQL.2 or some other instance number instead of 1. For x86 operating systems, omit Wow6432Node from the registry path.
    • Create a string (REG_SZ) value named SQLArg3 and set the data to "-T4606" (no quotes).
    • In response to the error message, cancel the installation and allow it to roll back. Then try the installation again.
  • Once the suspended installation of SQL Express 2005 SP3 runs to a successful completion, the KB970892 security patch should install successfully.
  • You will need to start up the Backup Exec services after the patch installation.

I'll be interested to hear how this works for others.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In the error message, it has something about HPDSDB instance. Is this the name of your server, check if it has some instance by this name. It is not the bkupexec instance, but this other instance of SQL server on the machine, which appears to cause the issue. you may want to check if this service exists on the SQL server. If not, it could be some incomplete uninstall of SQL server from the past.

Thanks

Brett_F
Level 2
 I can tell you there is a issue here. I have 3 2003 SBSR2 with 12.5 BupEXEC and a 203 R2 Ent, again 12.5 and they all exhibit this issue with the BACKUPEXEC instance on this hotfix. More confusing is the posted update that SQL 2005 Express Edition with SP3 is NOT affected. so it is confusing as to if this is required or not. Neither Symantec or Microsft  seem to be able to clarify this.

jaspain
Level 3
The HBDSDB instance is from a different server (HP Digital Sender Service 4.0). The instance names on the two Backup Exec media servers are both BKUPEXEC. The errors that occur are otherwise the same in any event. I don't think the problem is related to Backup Exec specifically, but is a general problem with the KB970892 patch and SQL 2005 Express SP3. I have a tech support case open with Microsoft and will post any useful results here. Thanks.

Fabri_Fabri
Level 4
Hi jaspain, I am in the same situation. Please post the solution, once found, because it will be very helpful to all us.

Did someone try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971818

Repair the SQL Server 2005 instance by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.
  2. In the Currently installed programs list, click the instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to repair and then click Change.
  3. In the Component Selection page, select Database Engine and then click Next.
  4. In the Feature Maintenance page, select Database Engine and  then click Next. The SQL server installation wizard starts.
  5. To continue, click Next on the SQL server 2005 setup page.
  6. Click Next on the System Configuration Check page.
  7. In Change or Remove Instance page, select Complete the suspended installation.
  8. Click Next on the Error and Usage Report Settings page. Optional, you can select one or both the boxes on this screen.
  9. Click Install on the Ready to Update page.
  10. Click Next on the Setup Progress page.
  11. Click Finish on the Completing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup page.

Thanks for help and regards.

F.

jaspain
Level 3
I tried the KB971818 workaround to no avail. First the "Complete the suspended installation" procedure got stuck because the SQL Express SP3 installation files were not available. When I supplied those, it proceeded further, but then failed with the error: "[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server] Password Validation failed. The password does not meet the Windows policy requirements because it is too short.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again." It isn't clear which password it is complaining about. I was logged in with a domain user account which is a local administrator in one instance, and a domain administrator account in the other instances. Those account passwords, of course, meet the length criterion specified by group policy on the domain. The databases are operating in Windows Authentication mode. Still awaiting further word from Microsoft Tech Support. Thanks. Jeff.

jaspain
Level 3
Microsoft is declining to provide support because we are running Backup Exec in a VMware environment. If anybody is having this problem on a physical machine and is in a position to work on it with Microsoft, please let us all know the outcome.

gerryan
Not applicable
Partner Accredited
Jeff,
I have several clients running BackupExec on physical boxes and am seeing exactly the same problem on at least 3 of those machines.  My only solution at present is to block that particular update -- not perfect, I know but better than the alternative until Microsoft gets its act together.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
When it asks for a password, use a complex password and complete the SP3 install. Once done, you may try applying this hotfix again.

Thanks

cpegel
Level 4
My BE server is running on a physical device running Windows Sever 2003 x64 and I'm getting exactly the same errors. Most annoyingly the Backup Exec servers stay done after the update fails, so the schedule of the backups is stuck. I'll block the update for now and hope we'll find a fix ASAP.

Greetings

richlux
Level 4

Running the same configuration as cpegel :(

Richard

mdclark
Not applicable
I went through the process in Fabri_Fabri's message and it corrected the issue for my server.  I did have to go to Microsoft and download the free SQL Server 2005 for 64 bit to complete the process as it was looking for the install files to do the repair.

Once I did that I was able to install the update that was failing, and backup services are working normally again!

mgray84
Level 2
When I try Fabri's fix I get the prompt as posted above.  Any resultion to that?

mgray84
Level 2
Here is the link that helped me with my password prompt issue.

http://davehope.co.uk/Blog/kb970892-fails-to-install/

mgray84
Level 2
It does not prompt for a password it just fails during repair of sql express.  Attached is screenshot.  How do we fix this when all of this was setup during Beckup Exec install by default?

FIXED - http://davehope.co.uk/Blog/kb970892-fails-to-install/

tetrasqlpass.JPG

jaspain
Level 3

First of all, Microsoft has clarified its support policy, and SQL Express 2005 is supported in our virtual environment on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64 guest and VMware vSphere host. Microsoft has a helpful reference as to exactly which virtualized environments they will support. See the Server Virtualization Validation Program wizard at http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/svvp.aspx?svvppage=svvpwizard.htm.

In this case Microsoft made the following recommendation, which did successfully resolve the issue. To summarize the problem, the security update KB970892 failed to install because the original installation of SQL Express 2005 SP3 did not run to a final completion, even though there was no indication of any problem during the original installation process.

The fix is as follows:

• Open the Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) control panel.
  • Select Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and click Change.
  • Select the database engine component.
  • Allow the system configuration check to complete.
  • Then choose Complete the suspended installation.
  • You may get the error message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "SqlRun_SQL.msi" in the box below." This means that the installer needs access to the original installation files.
  • Installation will continue, but you may encounter an additional error "[(Microsoft] [SQL Native Client [SQL Server] Password Validation failed. The password does not meet the Windows policy requirements because it is too short.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again."
    • To correct this problem, open the Registry Editor.
    • Locate the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer\Parameters. Note that it may be MSSQL.2 or some other instance number instead of 1. For x86 operating systems, omit Wow6432Node from the registry path.
    • Create a string (REG_SZ) value named SQLArg3 and set the data to "-T4606" (no quotes).
    • In response to the error message, cancel the installation and allow it to roll back. Then try the installation again.
  • Once the suspended installation of SQL Express 2005 SP3 runs to a successful completion, the KB970892 security patch should install successfully.
  • You will need to start up the Backup Exec services after the patch installation.

I'll be interested to hear how this works for others.

wstahn
Level 3

...seems to work...

Randy_W
Level 3
Same problem on a physical machine.  When I follow the procedure above instead of a password error I get:  "The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting Internal Properties.  The error is: Fatal error  during installation."  I tried the Password validation hack, but still get the same error.  Any suggestions?

Randy_W
Level 3

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.4035.00
==============================
OS Version      : Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)
Time            : Sat Oct 24 06:34:12 2009

Machine         : SERVER2
Product         : SQL Server Database Services
Error           : The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting Internal Properties. The error is: Fatal error during installation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Machine         : SERVER2
Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Product Version : 9.3.4035.00
Install         : Failed
Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0009_CNSPPCDC2_SQL.log
Last Action     : SetInstanceProperty
Error String    : The setup has encountered an unexpected error while Setting Internal Properties. The error is: Fatal error during installation.
Error Number    : 29528
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SirNicoli22
Not applicable
Hey all,

If there is no option available in the SQL Server 2005 system configuration to complete the suspended installation, then you should try the fix below:

I copied this from another discussion group and it worked on my computer. I am running XP Professional.

To resolve this issue, do the following:

1. Go to Run, type regedit, and click ok, or press Enter.
2. Back up your registry, if you don't know how to do this, google it...
3. In Regedit, go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\Setup]
[Note that if you have multiple instances of MSSQL installed, the reg key
might be different for you]
4. find the Resume REG_DWORD, and change its decimal value from 1, to 0.
5. install the update, and restart the machine.

If you don't want to install this update using the automatic update
(WUAUCLT), you can download the hotfix directly from microsoft, just google
"download KB970892 ". you will still need to manually change the registy
"Resume" value, or else the hotfix will fail to install.

Best of luck!

P.S. This is a lot faster and easier than calling Microsoft Customer Support. Trust me, I tried. Three times.