cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Tape drive (when two drives aer installed)

sachitha
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a backup exec 2012 media server with Library Expansion Option installed and I got two tape drives insalled in my tape loader. How can I chose the drive out of two when I create a backup job. There is no drop down in the "Storage" section of backup create dialog. Please help me to come out of this problem.

Regs,

Sachitha.

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the Storage tab, do you see two tape drives under your library?  If not, you should power-cycle your library and your media server.

sachitha
Level 4

Hi pkh,

I can see two tape drives in the Storage tab.

Regs,

Sachitha.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried re-starting all the BE services?

sachitha
Level 4

Hi pkh,

Services restarted several tiems and finally server rebooted. Could you please tell me where can I select the drives when I create the backup job.

Regs,

Sachitha.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should be able to select the tape drive in the storage selection, just like you can select a disk storage, etc.  Can you see the tape library?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess your query was already answered in the below forum thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-select-two-tape-drives-backup-exec-2012

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls post a screen-shot of the drop-down or rather the Storage section of the backup job properties in addition to the Storage tab.

sachitha
Level 4

Hi All,

That thred doesn't have the answer for my question. I will post a screen shot of my configh for your refferance.

VJware
Level 6

Are both drives added to the partitions ? And is IBM 0002 (0015-0041) the only partition listed ? Does it give any error when you chose the drop-down or nothing happens when you do so...

Colin_Weaver

If you use partition then you cannot select a specific drive in this drop down as the partition becomes the drive choice - your screenshot does shwo a partition is in use/configured.

Why do you care which drives writes to the tape, the partition and the media sets in combination will control which tape cartridge is used - or are you using a library containing 2 separate tape technologies (LTO-3 and LTO-5 for instance) and therefore have 2 different standard drives that you need to control the use of?

sachitha
Level 4

Hi All,

I have two separate LTO5 tape drives installed and I need to run two backups for separate partitions simultaniously. So how can I do it?

Regs,

Sachitha.