cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection List Failure

AIRay
Level 4

Symantec Forum Experts,

Recently one of our satellite offices changed over to a new domain. Backup jobs are all failing. I assume it is because the jobs/selection list is looking for ServerName.old-domain.com instead of the new domain all the computers are on.

should i delete the current seleciton list or job and create a new one? i would like to be able to edit this one. The problem is when i try to edit the selection list i get the error Connection with server failed. I have attached screenshots.

I am running SBE 2012 as elevated Admin privelages. All of the symantec services are running.

what can i do!! ??

If i do have to create something what is the correct way to do it?

do you create a template and then create a job to use that template and then a selection list to go into that job?

i am taking over the duties of this backup software so this is a new one on me.

help is always greatly appreciated

let me know if you need more info

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the machine name or the domanin of the media server itself changed?  If so, then you have to use BEUtility to rename the media server.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38988

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Is this BE 2012 (which doesn't have selection lists)? Or another version? You can create a new selection list and apply to the current backup job.

I suspect that if the RAWS agent published via IP address to the media server you wouldn't have this issue, so it is worth looking at too.

Thanks!

AIRay
Level 4

Hi Craig,

BE 2010 R3.

when i try to do a new backup Selection List i can not see any servers. it says connection to server failed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

The BE 2010 R3 SCL doesn't show that Windows SBE 2012 is supported in any way. Windows Server 2012 itself is only supported as a remote agent installation.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the machine name or the domanin of the media server itself changed?  If so, then you have to use BEUtility to rename the media server.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38988

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Provided you are using a supported OS and you have used BEUtility to update the domain name change, you may need to edit the system logon account as well. Choose Network - Logon Accounts and edit the logon account from old_domain\admin to new_domain\admin.

AIRay
Level 4

so accounts and support os check out. still getting the error attached in the screenshot.

i want to make a new backup job/selection list and templates but when i go to do a new one the window still shows all resources and nothing under neath that with the error cannot connect to the server, hit f5 to refresh.

here is another error attached of what i am seeing on jobs that partially complete. my question on this error is does this logon account not have admin rights on the individual servers it is trying to back up or does this account not have rights in SBE??

i created a new account in our AD for backup use. it is part of the domain admins group. My question now is how do i make SBE 2010R3 use this new account for everything instead of what it is currently using.

i tried to edit and delete old accounts but they all ask for a password and the password i have on file is not accpeted.

keep the help coming as i am great need to get this fixed since our assets are not being backed up at all.

AIRay
Level 4

i just saw this. Yes the machines being backed up and the media server have all changed domains

So IMFT.old-domain.com to IMFT.new-domain.com  - so the actual computer name remained the same, just the domain they are all on did change. I know the jobs are looking for those computers, so let me see if the document you sent over will help!

i will let you know soon!

thank you!

AIRay
Level 4

Thanks PKH

that fixed one issue i was having. i can now see the selection lists again.

AIRay
Level 4

thanks for everyone's help! This seem to get me closer to solving the issue. i have another question but i will post in another thread!