cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Crashed where Symantec application was installed.

sixthsense
Level 3

Dear All,

We are sing symantec backup exec, the application was installed on 2008 windows server. A couple of days before our server was crashed on which our symantec backup application was installed. We are taking backup on tapes through this one.

I am looking for solution that how can I install this application on other server to make my taped again online as I need some backup urgently and it is also critical as we are unable to take all backups including our Exchange Server.

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No, you can't use IP to connect to the other server, nor can you share it and connect via that.

You need to either put the SAS or SCSI card (depending on what it is!) from the old server into the new server and then connect the cable from the drive to that, or buy a compatible card and do so.

If this was a fibre channel card, then you'd simply zone the library and new media server to see each other (assuming the new server had a fibre channel HBA) and go from there.

If you can't remove the card from the old server and put it into the new, then you need to buy a card...nothing more can be done until that library is connected.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV

hI,

If you backed up the Data and Catalogs folders in the BE installation, then you have bedb.bak which you can recover from. In this case, you would do the following:

1. Install Windows Server 2008 on the server and patch.

2. Install BE 2010 Rx and patch.

3. Catalog the latest backup on tape and restore the Data/Catalogs folders, or just bedb.bak.

4. Follow the TN below to restore from the BEDB backup file:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65053

If you don't have that file, or those folders, then you would do the following:

1. Install Windows Server 2008 on the server and patch.

2. Install BE 2010 Rx and patch.

3. Catalog the latest backup on tape and restore the data.

4. You can then run a Catalog on every other tape which adds this information back to the BEDB, or catalog them as, and when, you need to restore. Bear in mind that if you don't catalog the tapes, then the new installation of BE has no knowledge of data backed up and restore points, and unless you know which tapes to restore from, your futue restores (until the tapes are expired) will take a lot longer.

Thanks!

sixthsense
Level 3

@CraigV thank for your prompt reply, can you please tell me from where can i get the bedb.bak file or how can i revocer this file??

Thanks

CraigV

Well, if you backed up the Data folder, then bedb.bak is included in this, as it is an internal backup of the BEDB at 4am every morning.

So you would catalog your tape, and then select the correct restore date for your restore before selecting the Data folder (where BE is installed too).

If you don't back this up, then you need to catalog every tape. But you would catalog the tape you want to restore your data from first, and then go the route of a normal restore.

THanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that in order to use the tape drive, it MUST be installed on the server which you have loaded BE.  If you are using a new server for BE, then you need transfer the tape drive to this new server.

If you have the IDR bootable image and the .dr file for the latest backup of the media server, then you can use IDR to restore you present media server.  If not, you should read the IDR chapter in the Admin Guide so that you can use it for a speedy recovery of the media server the next time.

sixthsense
Level 3

I have installed server and BE, in our case it is 12.5, but I am unable to find the library, how will i be able to fine it.

Thanks

CraigV

...it has to be connected to that server, as per pkh's comments below.

If not, you need to do so or it won't work and can't be shared...which means you can't restore.

Also make sure of the following:

1. In Windows Device Manager, the robotics must show up as Unknown Medium Changer.

2. Run tapeinst.exe to install the Symantec drivers for the drive.

Thanks!

sixthsense
Level 3

How can i install this library as it is not showing in device manager, I think i have to install the library as pkh advised but looking for way to install it??

Thanks

sixthsense
Level 3

there is connector from tape drive to server, isn't it possible that i can connect my new server with IP??

CraigV

No, you can't use IP to connect to the other server, nor can you share it and connect via that.

You need to either put the SAS or SCSI card (depending on what it is!) from the old server into the new server and then connect the cable from the drive to that, or buy a compatible card and do so.

If this was a fibre channel card, then you'd simply zone the library and new media server to see each other (assuming the new server had a fibre channel HBA) and go from there.

If you can't remove the card from the old server and put it into the new, then you need to buy a card...nothing more can be done until that library is connected.

Thanks!

sixthsense
Level 3

yes you right it is sas connector, so i have to buy this, and I hope things will work fine after this.

CraigV

...as long as it is compatible with your drive/autoloader/library, then you're good to go with recovering the data by following the information provided above.

Thanks!